Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Will of John Calvin Dees (1853-1930) of Morven, NC

Today we will look at the Will of John Calvin Dees[1] (1853-1930) of Morven, Anson County, North Carolina. J. Calvin was married twice; he married his first wife Louvena Huneycutt (1855-1889) in 1884 in Lilesville, Anson County, North Carolina. To this union were born four daughters; Lucy Pearl Dees (1886-1970), Theresa Dees (1887-1925), Etta M. Dees (1888-1982) and Louvena Dees (1889-1890). Three years after the death of his first wife, J. Calvin married Sarah Frances Gathings (1858-1950) in 1892 in Morven, Anson County, North Carolina. They had three daughters, Winnie Elizabeth Dees (1893-1980), Cora Lee Dees (1895-1968) and Callie Blanche Dees (1897-1968).


John Calvin Dees died testate, on 2 April 1930, his WILL was written on 14th March 1908 and was proved on 27 June 1930. Mrs
. Fannie Dees (current wife) qualified as administrator and letters of administration were issued to her. The WILL (transcribed from Anson County Probate Records on FHL Microfilm #018161, Pg. 423) reads:


WILL OF JOHN CALVIN DEES

STATE of NORTH CAROLINA-- Anson County

I, J. Calvin Dees, of the aforesaid County and State, being of sound mind and memory, but considering the uncertainty of my earthly existence, do make and declare this my last will and testament:

Item I. My executor, hereinafter named, shall give my body a decent burial, suitable to the wishes of my friends and relatives, and pay all funeral expenses, together with all my just debts, out of the first moneys which may come into his hands belonging to my estate.

Item II. I give and devise to my beloved wife, Fannie (Gathings) Dees, for the term of her natural life, the following described tract of land lying and being in the County of Anson on the south side of Big Jones Creek, Beginning at a black gum on Caple Branch and runs N. 38 E. 22 chs. to a stake, thence East 14 chs. to a stake on Short Branch, thence N. 17 1/2 W. 28 chs. to a stake at Jones Creek, thence up said creek, the various courses thereof, 24 chs. to the mouth of Caple Branch, thence up the various courses of said branch 25.38 chs. to the beginning, containing seventy-seven (77) acres, more or less; it being the same tract of land conveyed to me by J. C. Cox and Wife by deed of January 21, 1903, which deed is recorded in Deed Book 36, Page 460, etc., reference to which is hereby specially made.

Item III. I give and devise to my children, Winnie Elizabeth Dees, Cora Lee Dees, and Callie Blanche Dees, the tract of land described in the foregoing item, subject to the life estate of my said wife as set out in said item, to them and their heirs forever, share and share alike.

Item IV. I give and bequeath to my daughter, Etta Dees, the sum of Five Dollars ($5.00).

Item V. I give and bequeath to my daughter, Lucy Pearly Purvis, the sum of One Dollar ($1.00).

Item VI. I give and bequeath all the residue of my personal estate to my wife, Fannie Dees, to be hers absolutely.

Item VII. I hereby constitute and appoint my trusty friend, Marcus L. Ham, my lawful executor to all intents and purposes, to execute this my last will and testament according to the true intent and meaning of the same.

In witness whereof, I, the said J. Calvin Dees, do hereunto set my hand and seal this the 14th day of March, 1908.


J. Calvin X Dees {Seal}

Signed, sealed, published and declared by the said J. Calvin Dees to be his last will and testament in the presence of us, who, at his request and in his presence, do subscribe our names as witnesses thereto.

Fred J. Coxe
Walter E. Brock
Lena Rivers Smyth



STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA :: IN THE SUPERIOR COURT.

ANSON COUNTY :: PROBATE OF WILL.

The foregoing paper writing, purporting to be the last will of the late J. Calvin Dees, of said County and State, in this my propounded for probate in our said Superior Court by Marcus L. Ham, the executor named therein, and the due execution thereof is proven by the oath and examination of Fred J. Coxe and Walter E. Brock, two of the subscribing witnesses thereto, who being severally duly sworn according to law, to depose and say, and each for himself deposeth and saith, that at the date therein named the said J. Calvin Dees signed his name at the end of said paper writing, and declared the same to be his last will and testament, to the presence of these witnesses, and that thereupon these witnesses signed their names thereto as witnesses, in the presence of the testator, and at his request; and that, at the time of the execution thereof as aforesaid by the testator, and the attestation thereof by these witnesses, the said J. Calvin Dees was of sound mind and memory, of full age to execute a will, and was not under restraint to the knowledge, information or belief of these witnesses. Therefore let said paper writing be admitted to probate and recorded as the last will and testament of the said J. Calvin Dees, deceased.

Done at office in Wadesboro, this, the 27th. day of June, A.D. 1930, when and where Mrs. Fannie Dees qualified as administrator c.t.a., and letters of administration c.t.a. issued to her.

W. K. Boggan
Clerk of the Superior Court

John Calvin Dees, was my Great Grandfather, the Father of my grandmother - Lucy Pearl Deese Purvis (17 Jan 1885 - 23 April 1970). A copy of this WILL can be found, on file, at the Anson County Courthouse, Wadesboro, NC. --For more information contact: Send E-Mail to Charlie Purvis










______________________
[1] Anson County, North Carolina, FHL microfilm 018161: page 423, Will of John Calvin Dees; Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Geneabloggers. It is a great place to meet other genealogists, share information & have fun. I also have roots in the Carolinas. I have not done lots of research in that area yet. I will watch your blog for tips.
    Colleen
    http://www.pasqualefamily.net/web/

    ReplyDelete