Saturday, February 4, 2012

Simon Lundy Will provides key to wife of Lewis Boatwright

For many years I knew from census records that Lewis Boatwright had married Sarah [LNU[1]]. About January 2001, I networked with a Boatwright researcher that provided me a clue to her identity. The document was a SC equity record abstract.

Records Equity CED 1803-1815, p. 357

Simon Lundy of Chesterfield Co. died 1796. Wife Becky Lundy. (his will dated July 26, 1795) Issue:
Edith Lundy "Edy", at age of 50 married James Wages, 21, in 1813. She had one illegitimate child,
1. Becky Lundy, married Alexander Melton
2. Sarah Boatwright, wife of _____ Boatwright
3. Drury Lundy

Based on the time frame it seemed evident that the Sarah Boatwright named above was also the Sarah married to Lewis Boatwright.

Since that time I have found several documents that proved this connection; one of those being the Will of Simon Lundy.

Sarah Lundy, daughter of Simon Lundy and his wife Rebecca [LNU], married Lewis Boatwright about 1785. Their firstborn, a daughter, named Siddie was born January 1786.

This WILL is NOT indexed nor listed on the SC Archives database yet it is contained within Equity Records on file at the Archives.

Exhibit (A) Simon Lundy Will

In the name of God Amen. I Simon Lundy of Chesterfield County and state of South Carolina being weak of body but of perfect mind, memory and understanding do hereby make my last will and testament in writing as follows:

First it is my will and desire that my beloved wife Becky Lundy have the use of my plantation and negroes with my stock of cattle, horses, hogs, and ____, houses, plantation tools and household furniture during her natural life and at her decease to go to the following persons Vis:

I give and bequeath to my beloved daughter Edy Lundy one hundred and fifty acres of land bounding on Gilbert Purvis and Joseph Booth's land & on the East side on one hundred acres that I intend to will and bequeath to Sarah Boatwright and a negro fellow names Charles and a negro girl named Phebe with her future increases with my horses, cattle, hogs, sheep and geese and also my plantation tools and household furniture except a bed blanket and sheet and in case of her death without lawful heirs to her daughter Becky Lundy. But if she should have such lawful heirs, to be equally divided between them and the said Becky Lundy, her daughter, share and share alike. But in case said Edy Lundy and Becky Lundy die without such heirs lawfully begotten, that the aforesaid land, negroes, horses, black cattle, hogs, sheep, and geese with the plantation tools and household furniture be equally divided between my son Drury Lundy and my daughter Sarah Boatwright share and share alike.

I give and bequeath to my beloved daughter Sarah Boatwright, one hundred acres of land adjoining the above mentioned one hundred and fifty [150] acres on the east and on land belonging to Drury Lundy and to include the plantation where Lewis Boatwright now lives with a negro woman named Celia with her future increase and a negro boy named Bob and also a bed, blanket, and sheet to her and her heirs share and share alike, and it is my will and desire that my said daughter Sarah Boatwright pay unto my beloved son Drury Lundy in one year after my decease one hundred [$100] dollars cash in order to purchase him a negro.

And I hereby nominate, constitute and appoint my beloved son Drury Lundy and my friend Haywood Todd, Senior Executor of this my last will and testament and I do hereby revoke and disannul all and all former and other Wills and Testaments by me in any wise here to fore made ratifying and confirming this my only Last Will and Testament in witness where I have here unto set my hand and seal this twenty-sixth day of July in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety-five.


Simon X Lundy{seal}

Signed, sealed, published, pronounce
By the Testator in the presence of
us who in his and at his request
and in the presence of have here unto
subscribed our names.
Alex'd Cray, Haywood Todd, William Bevill

I do hereby [certify] the within to be a true copy of the original Will of Simon Lundy, deceased, now on file in my office, Chesterfield.

William Pegeus, Ordinary
Ordinaries Office
March 21th, 1808

{A copy of this WILL was provided to this author by Julie W . of Marion, SC}



[1] LNU = Last Name Unknown

1 comment:

  1. I am a distant relative of Drury Lundy and I am trying to find anything on his son Samuel EW Lundy. If you have any ifo you can email me at allenlundy1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete