Rem

Welcome

TO CAROLINA FAMILY ROOTS READERS.
Thanks for reading and commenting about my blog postings. My goal is to accurately document the genealogy of my family and allied families living in Chesterfield County, SC and Anson County, NC. If you have a Chesterfield County surname you are interested in please send me an e-mail.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Transcribing Wills & Deeds

As family historians and genealogists we are always transcribing or abstracting documents. I have transcribed many documents using a magnifier and a yellow legal pad. I'm always looking for a better or easier way to do these necessary tasks. There are various programs available to assist you in transcribing documents but many of them are cost prohibited.

I recently found a great program for doing this job. It's called TranscriptBeta and it can be used in a "free" mode or you can register the program and unlock some additional features. The primary, added feature is the ability to work more than one project at a time. If you decide to register the cost is 15 euro or $19.69.

The program will read either RTF or JPG files. The author's webpage suggest that PDF support can be added by downloading and installing ghostscript.

The following is a screenshot of my transcription of a portion of the Richard Graves Revolutionary War Pension File (S-8598).

Double-Click Image for larger size

I like this program. It serves my transcription needs. It has proven to be a real labor saving program for me. I am in no way affiliated with the Author or this program (other than as a user) and I am not being paid for my comments.


The URL for this post is: http://carolinafamilyroots.blogspot.com/2012/02/transcribing-wills-deeds.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

//