Friday, April 20, 2012

Will of P. A. Sellers

Phillip A. Sellers was born  3 May 1818 in Chesterfield County, SC to Roland Sellers and Margaret Eddins. He married Martha Ann Brooks bout 1844, he died 2 July 1902 in Anson County, NC. Phillip and Margaret had 12 children.  The twelve children are all mentioned in the will. His wife Margaret preceded him in death on 27 December 1889.


P.A. Sellers Will[1]
Will Book "D"
Page 512-514
State of North Carolina,
Anson County

I Phillip A. Sellers, of the aforesaid County and State, being of sound mind, but considering the uncertainty of any being existence do make and declare this my last will and testament.

First, my executor, herein after named, shall give my body a decent burial, suitable to the wishes of my family and relatives and pay all funeral expenses together with all my just debts- out of the first money which may come into his hands belonging to my estate.

Second, I give and bequeath to my daughters Helen and Flora Sellers my entire household and kitchen furniture. Also all my hogs, horses and mule, buggies, wagons, and all my farming implements- share and share alike.

Third, I devise to my said daughters Helen and Flora Sellers and their heirs in fee simple, a tract of land bought of E. R. Simons Dec. 10th, 1878, said to contain two hundred and forth-five acres more or less, and another tract bought of Henry Riley Hinson May 25th 1883 said to contain seventy-eight acres, more or less, share and share alike.

Fourth, I devise to my said daughters John C. Sellers one tract of land bought of John A. Martin Janry 18th, 1860, said to contain thirty-one and one half acres more or less. Another tract bought of Simeon C. Liles administrator of Henry Diggs Febry 10th, 1974 said to contain two hundred and nineteen acres more or less, for his natural life and then to his children forever.

Fifth, I give and bequeath to my son William B. Sellers the sum of one dollar, to be paid by my executor within two years of the date of my death, out of the moneys belonging to my estate, not otherwise disposed of.

Sixth, I give and bequeath to my daughter Sarah F. Hinson the sum of one dollar, to be paid by my executor within two years of the date of my death, out of the moneys belonging to my estate, not
otherwise disposed of.

Seventh, I give and bequeath to my daughter Margaret Hinson the sum of one dollar, to be paid by my executor within two years of the date of my death, out of the moneys belonging to my estate, not
otherwise disposed of.

Eight, I give and bequeath to my daughter Harriet Deese the sum of one dollar, to be paid by my executor within one year of the date of my death, out of the moneys belonging to my estate, not
otherwise disposed of.

Ninth, I give and bequeath to my daughter Martha Wright the sum of one dollar, to be paid by my executor within two years of the date of my death, out of the moneys belonging to my estate, not
otherwise disposed of.

Tenth, I give and bequeath to my daughter Alice Swink the sum of one dollar, to be paid by my executor within two years of the date of my death, out of the moneys belonging to my estate, not
otherwise disposed of.

Eleventh, I give and bequeath to the children of my son T. B. Sellers, now deceased, the sum of one dollar, to be paid by my executor within two years of the date of my death, out of the moneys belonging to my estate, not otherwise disposed of.

Twelfth, I give and bequeath to my daughter Susan Webb the sum of one dollar, to be paid by my executor within one year of the date of my death, out of the moneys belonging to my estate, not
otherwise disposed of.

Thirteenth, I give and bequeath to my daughter Dora Smith the sum of one dollar, to be paid by my executor within one year of the date of my death, out of the moneys belonging to my estate, not
otherwise disposed of.

Fourteenth, My will and desire is that all the residue of my estate after taking out the devises and legacies above mentioned, shall be sold and the debts owing to me collected, and if there should be
any surplus over and above the payment of debts, expenses and legacies that such surplus shall be equally divided and paid over to my said children, except my said daughter Dora Smith who is not
to receive any part of my estate except which has herein before been bequeathed to her in equal proportions, share and share alike.

Fifteenth, I hereby constitutes and appoint my trusty friend, my son John C Sellers my lawful executor to all intents- and purposes to execute this my last will and testament, according to the true intent and meaning of the same and every part and clause thereof, hereby revoking and declaring utterly void all other wills and testaments by me heretofore made. In witness I the said Phillip A. Sellers do hereunto set my hand and seal this 13th day if February 1901.
P. A. Sellers Seal
Signed, sealed, published and declared
by Phillip A. Sellers to be his last
Will and testament in the presence of
us who at his request and in his presence
do subscribe our names as witness thereto-
B. V. Henry
T. A. Horne

State of North Carolina
Anson County
In the Superior Court
The foregoing paper writing purporting to be the last will and testament of the late Phillip A. Sellers of said county is this day propounded for probate in our said Superior Court by John C. Sellers the executor named therein and the due execution thereof is proved by the oath and examination of Byron V. Henry and Thomas A. Horne the subscribing witnesses thereto who being severely duly sworn according to law, do depose and say, and each for himself deposeth and saith, that at the date therein named the Phillip A. sellers signed his name at the end of said paper writing and declared the same to be his last will and testament, in the presence of these witnesses and that there upon these witnesses signed their names thereto as witnesses in the presence of the testator, and at his request and that at the times of the execution thereof as aforesaid by the testator and the attestation thereof by these witnesses the said Phillip A. Sellers was of sound mind and memory, of full age to execute a will, and was not under restraint to the knowledge, information,  or belief of these witnesses. Therefore, let said paper writing be admitted to probate and recorded as the last will and testament of the said Phillip A. Sellers, deceased. Done at office in Wadesboro, this the 22nd day of July AD 1902 when and where the said John C. Sellers qualifies as Executor and letters of testimony issued to him.
John C. McLanchlin
Clerk of the Superior Court



[1] Anson County, North Carolina, FHL microfilm 018160:Will Book "D", pages 512-514 WILL of P. A. Sellers; Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment