Monday, December 17, 2012

Military Monday–Luther W. Johns


Luther William Johns
11 April 1917 – 9 August 1985

p006-Luther W. Johns(small)
In Remembrance

The posting today is ”In Remembrance” of my Uncle Luther  W. Johns, an older brother to my Mother. Grandpa Julius Johns was killed in a car accident in 1937 and a year later Grandma Johns died. The seven (7) children were left without any parents and although Uncle Luther and Carl were the oldest, the youngest child was a mere seven (7) years old when his parents died.   

So at 22 years 10 months 12 days, Uncle Luther joined the Army and became a paratrooper. He enlisted on 23 Jul 1940 and was discharged 23 September 1945.[1]  

Not much is known by the family about Uncle Luther’s Army service during World War II; but, we do know he was a paratrooper. During the War he was stationed in Nebraska most likely at the Alliance Army Airfield where he met his first wife - Jeanne Kathryn Sovereign, daughter of Alva W. Sovereign and wife Irma Estelle Burton.

After the war, Jeanne and Luther settled in Box Butte County, Nebraska and had two daughters, and a son.
While I was living in Utah I was able to locate the two daughters and we corresponded for a while. Then in 2000 I retired and moved back to North Carolina and lost contact with them. So cousins where ever you may be today, I’m thinking about you and your Father and would love it if you would send me an e-mail (click envelop on right side, scroll down to bottom of column)  




_______________________________________
[1] U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, "BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010," [database on-line], Department of Veterans Affairs, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 (http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=2441 : viewed 12 January 2012), Luther W. JOHNS.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you find your cousins again. Whenever I have a question anymore, I'm starting to google it. I found two ladies over eighty from the White Pages on the internet. I was trying to find living descendants for a line I was searching.

    Last night I received "An Early Christmas Gift" which I stayed up late to write for the blog prompt "Amanuensis Monday." Love Geneabloggers. :-)

    Regards,

    Grant

    thestephensherwoodletters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grant,

    Thanks for your comments . Aren't those early Christmas gifts beautiful. Keep on Mining. I subscribed to your blog so I could hear more.

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete