TO CAROLINA FAMILY ROOTS. Thanks for reading and commenting about my blog postings. My goal is to accurately document the genealogy of my family and allied families living in Chesterfield County, SC and Anson County, NC. If you have a Chesterfield County surname you are interested in please send me an e-mail.
Saturday, September 7, 2013
Hannibal Osgood Boatwright was born on 14 Jan 1858 in Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina.1 2 3 4 Hannibal died on 12 Aug 1933 at the age of 75 in Marlin, Falls, Texas.5 He was buried on 12 Aug 1933 in Bryan, Brazos, Texas. 6
When Hannibal passed away in August 1933 his obituary was printed in the Chesterfield Advertiser, the local newspaper. His death was attributed to Bright’s disease – Kidney failure. His parents Thomas and Artimica Wynn Boatwright moved to Georgia about 1859.
H. O. Boatwright, aged 75 years, president of the First National Bank of Bryan, Texas, died at an early hour Saturday morning at a Marlin hospital where he had been under treatment for some time. Mr. Boatwright was a native of Chesterfield, South Carolina, but came to Bryan from Macon, Ga, with his father's family in 1868 and had lived here continuously since. He had been in the banking business for 53 years, and was connected with a number of the city's leading business enterprises. He was senior deacon of the First Baptist church and a teacher in the Sunday school over 50 years. His wife, who survives him, was Miss Leila Law, daughter of the late Dr. F. M. Law, a leading Baptist minister of Texas. He is also survived by two children, S. L. Boatwright and Mrs. Travis Bryan, both of Bryan, and four grandchildren. Mr. Boatwright has many friends and relatives in Chesterfield who will regret to hear of his passing. F. M. Law of Houston, president of the First National Bank of that city, is his brother-in-law, and District Judge W. C. Davis of Bryan is his son-in-law. Funeral services will be held from the First Baptist Church Sunday at PM, conducted by the pastor, D.W.H. Andrew, with interment in the family mausoleum in the city cemetery.7
Hannibal Osgood Boatwright and Sarah Leila Law were married on 30 May 1882. Sarah Leila Law, daughter of Francis Marion Law and Mary Jane Howell, was born on 29 Dec 1862 in Plantersville, Grimes, Texas, United States.8 She died on 14 Jan 1944 at the age of 81 in Bryan, Brazos Co., TX.9
Hannibal Osgood Boatwright and Sarah Leila Law had the following children:
2 i. Esther Boatwright, born 24 Jul 1883, TX; married Wilbur Claude Davis, 9 Jun 1912; died 1927.
3 ii. Stuart Law Boatwright, born 17 Feb 1887; married Vera Brevard Knox; died 12 May 1968.
4 iii. Ruth Boatwright, born 20 Sep 1896; married Travis Bell Bryan; died 19 May 1988, Bryan, Brazos, Texas.
Hannibal Osgood Boatwright is the grandson of Drury Boatwright and Levicia “Vicy” Thurman Boatwright.
1. Hannibal Osgood Boatwright, death certificate 36724 (12 August 1933), Vital Records, Department of Health, Austin, Travis County, Texas.
2. 1860 U. S. Census, Hancock County, Georgia, population schedule, Mayfield, Hancock County, Georgia, Page: 219; Line 16, Dwelling #34, Family #36, Household of T[homas] BOATWRIGHT; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : viewed 28 September 2012); citing NARA publication Roll: M653_126.
3. 1870 U. S. Census, McLennan County, Texas, population schedule, Waco, McLennan County, Texas, Page: 16, Line 38, Dwelling 16, Family 15, Household of Thos. BOATWRIGHT; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : viewed 28 September 2012); citing National Archives Microfilm M593_1598.
4. 1880 U. S. Census, Brazos County, Texas, population schedule, Brazos County, Texas;, enumeration district (ED) 017, Page: 255A; Line 15, Dwelling 115, Family 130, Household of Thos. BOATWRIGHT; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : viewed 28 September 2012); citing National Archives Microfilm T9, Roll 1292.
5. Hannibal Osgood Boatwright, Falls County, Texas death certificate 36724 (12 August 1933).
6. Mr. H. O. BOATWRIGHT obituary, The Chesterfield Advertiser, Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, 31 August 1933, page 1, col. 5.
8. Leila Law Boatwright, Bryan, Brazos, Texas, United States death certificate 03262 (14 January 1944).