Friday, October 18, 2013

Last Will of Edith “Edy” Norris


In the name of God, Amen.

I,  Edy Norris of South Carolina, Chesterfield District, being very weak in body but of perfect mind and  memory, thanks be to God for the same, knowing that it is appointed for all to die. First, I give and recommend my Soul to the Almighty God that gave it, my body to the earth to be buried at the discretion of my Executors and also my worldly estate that it has been pleased God to bless me with I dispose of as follows.


First I leave to my son William Norris, one shillings by reasoning he has had his share and give a receipt against the estate before those Negros were first bought.


Second, to my son James Norris, one Negro woman by the name of Jan, another Negro girl by the name of Milley, also another Negro woman by the name of Jane,  also another Negro boy by the name of Wilson, also another Negro by the name  not known. Yet the slaves belongs to Jane???.

Third, to my daughter Winney Norris, I give one Negro girl by the name of Peg,  also a Negro boy by the name of Charles.

Fourth, to my son John Norris, one Negro boy by the name of Jack, also another Negro girl by the name of Nan, to them and their heirs forever. Also to my daughter Winney Norris, all my household furniture to them their heirs and assigns forever.

Of this I make my last Will and Testament and I do hereby utterly revoke all wills and Testaments, this to be my last Will and Testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 21st of March in the year of our Lord one thousand and eight hundred and sixteen [1816].

Signed sealed and delivered                          Edy (her X mark) Norris
in the presence of  us
Neil Crawford
William Johnson
Daniel McDonald

I do hereby certify the preceding to be a true copy of the original will of Edy Norris deceased now on file in my office.
Ordinaries Office                                                      William Pegues
Chesterfield District Jan 8th, 1817                              Ordinary

______________.
[1] Cheraw District Equity Records 1811-1820
[2] Image by Darrellksr (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment