Monday, January 27, 2014

Amanuensis Monday~Will of Margaret P. Brock

 

Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Today’s subject is the WILL of Margaret P. Brock, written in 1887.

Margaret P. Brock was b. 2 April 1838 to Valentine Brock and Nancy W. Vandigriff. Margaret was never married. She wrote her Will on 23 March 1887.  She died 13 August 1892 and was buried in the Brock Family Cemetery, Locust Grove, Henry County, Georgia. She, her parents, Valentine and Nancy and her grandmother, Elizabeth Lundy Brock, are the only four graves recorded in this cemetery. There are most likely more graves. Margaret has a sister, Mary Ann, born in 1846 and listed in the 1850 Census for Henry County. Her grave has not been found.

Margaret P. Brock Will

Transcription of Will:

Georgia}
Henry County} In the name of God Amen,”
I Margaret Brock of the County of Henry and State of Georgia been of sound and disposing mind and memory, do make and publish this my last will and Testament, hereby revoking all Wills hereto made by me. First, I commit my soul to God who gave it_  My worldly estate I depose of as follows:
Item first - I request Nancy W. Brock, My Mother to first pay off all my Burial expenses, and just debts.
Item Second - I then request My Mother to have a Tomb Stone erected over my Grave.
Item Third – I then will all my real estate, cash and all effects belonging to me, to my Mother N. W. Brock.
In witness whereof, I, the said Margaret Brock, to this my will consisting of one Sheet paper, have set my hand and Seal, this March 23rd 1887.
Witness                                                            Margaret P. Brock {L.S.}
Arch Brown, N. P. ex J. P.
James W. Vandergriff
T. J. Smith

Henry Court of Ordinary. Sept. Term 1892
The foregoing Will of Margaret P Brock, ordered and admitted to record, upon the oath of James W. Vandigriff one of the subscribing witnesses to said Will, as satisfactorily proven in common form of law. Sept. 5th, 1892                                                                                                               William N. Nelson
                         Ordinary






__________________________
"Georgia, Probate Records, 1742-1990," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-30354-9071-25?cc=1999178&wc=M946-1Z9:n1773628724 : accessed 26 Jan 2014), Henry > Wills 1834-1917 vol A-C > image 343 of 609.















No comments:

Post a Comment