Thursday, January 28, 2016

Treasure Chest Thursday~SC Death Certificate~Samuel Dunlap Belk


Samuel Dunlap Belk was born 2 August 1851 to Jefferson Belk and Sarah Rebecca Graves of Lancaster County, South Carolina. He was the only son of six children borned to this couple. 

Samuel married Arista McManus about 1872 according to the 1900 Census for Flat Creek, Lancaster, South Carolina. He died 20 September 1937 at 86 years of age. 

DC - Samuel D. Belk

The death certificate for Samuel Dunlap Belk reports that his parents were Jefferson Belk and Sarah Graves. It is my interests in Sarah Graves Belk that has led to my research of this family.

My 2nd Great Grandmother was Sarah Jane Graves and Sarah’s Mother was a lady named Mary Graves, born about 1795. I think that Sarah Graves Belk, Sarah Jane Graves and Mary Graves are all related. 

Jefferson Belk tombstone shows that he died in 1862, I can find no record of service in the Civil War so how he died is not known. There a specific date of 17 December 1862 but no tombstone photo. I am very doubtful of this date. No one seems to have any proof that it is a factual date. 

If you have any information on Jefferson or his wife Sarah Graves I would like to hear from you. If you are related and have done DNA testing; please lets compare results.

No comments:

Post a Comment