Monday, May 23, 2016

Amanuensis Monday~Will of Elisha Ellis, 1909


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.
His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

 
Today’s subject is The Chesterfield District WILL of Elisha Ellis, 1909.






Elisha Ellis Last Will and Testament
In the name of God, Amen.
I Elisha Ellis being of sound memory and mind And being desirous if disposing of my real and personal property in following manner, do make, publish and declare this to be my last Will and testament. Herby revoking all former wills by me made.
First. I want all my just debts and funeral expenses paid.
Second. All my real estate shall be equally divided between my Sons, John Carlile, Smith Douglas, Marion Richards, Robert Archibald and to my wife Annie Dora, share and share alike, the part allotted to my wife is to belong to her during her natural life, provided she does not marry again, And at her death it shall be equally divided between my sons above named, share and share alike, And it is to be understood that if the said Annie Dora Ellis do marry again her part of my real estate shall at once revert to my sons and to be divided between them as above stated.
Third. It is my will that all of my personal property of every kind and description be equally divided between my sons John Carlile, Smith Douglas, Marion Richards, Robert Archibald and to my wife Annie Dora and daughters Cathleen and Grace Miller, share and share alike.
Forth. It is my will that neither of my heirs herein named to whom my real estate is allotted shall sell their part of the land to any person except to a member of the family until my youngest son then living shall become of age.
Fifth. It is my will that each of my sons herein named shall pay Seventy five dollars to my daughter Grace Miller Ellis, and pay the same amount to my daughter Cathleen, said payments to be made in cash money of the United State <sic>.
Sixth. I hereby constitute and appoint my son J. Carlile Ellis and William A. Clark, Jr. as my Executor to this my last will and testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal. This 23rd day of July A. D. One thousand nine hundred and nine. And in the presence of the three witnesses hereto subscribed
Signed and}
Sealed in the}                                                              Elisha X his mark Ellis {Seal}
Presence of}
Robt. P. Miller}
J. N. McLauchlin}
L. E. Gardner}

We the undersigned do certify that we in the presence of the testator and in the presence of each other subscribed our names as witnesses to this as the last will and testament of Elisha Ellis, the testator.
Witness our hand & seal this 23rd day of July, 1909.
Robt. P. Miller {seal}
J. N. McLauchlin {seal}
L. E. Gardner {seal}
 
If this is your Ellis line and your are reading this post; please send me an e-mail and lets discuss this line.  

To date, I haven’t learned a lot about this Elisha Ellis. His FindAGrave memorial shows that he was born Feb. 29, 1860 and died on Oct. 17, 1909. Looking at the for 1860 Censuses for Chesterfield County has this entry.

1860 Nancy Ellis
1860 Census = Ellis 








First impression and analysis suggest that Archibald and Elizabeth are the parents of Elisha and the family is living with Archibald’s Mother, Nancy Ellis. if you have information that suggest something different please contact me at – E-MAIL
 



___________________________
[1] "South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19384-9821-0?cc=1911928 : accessed 16 May 2016), Chesterfield > Probate Court, Estate records > 1865-1927 > Cases 0900-0951 > image 904 - 907 of 1318; county courthouses, South Carolina, and South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia.



























No comments:

Post a Comment