Alice Catherine Johns the wife of Joel S. Toler was born about 1844 in Chesterfield County, South Carolina. At age 6, she was enumerated with her parents Shadrach and Mary Boan Johns on the 1850 Chesterfield County, SC Census.
By 1860, her parents had relocated to Russell County, Alabama where she and the family can be found in the 1860 Census.
In September 1869, Alice Catherine Johns married Joel S. Toler in Bullock County, Alabama. Russell and Bullock share a common county line as seen in the map section posted here:
We next find Alice Catherine (A. C.) Toler mention in two Chesterfield County Land Deed (DB 5: 598-599 and DB 6:177). These two land deeds show the families (Johns/Toler family) living in Washington County, Florida.
Shadrach and Mary Boan Johns named on first line.
Anna Johns, A. C. [Alice Catherine] Toler and H. J. Johns shown as signatures on the deed.
Joel and Alice Catherine Johns Toler had two Children:
- Mary Toler, b. 2 June 1871; d. 12 May 1955, Marlboro County, SC.
- William Shadrac Toler, b. 5 Apr 1974; d. 19 June 1955, Chesterfield Co., SC
Shadrach before returning to Marlboro County where is is enumerated in 1880 lost the following members of his family:
- His wife – Mary Boan Johns, b. 1815
- His daughter Alice Catherine Johns Toler, b. 1844
- His son-in-law Joel S. Toler, age unknown
- His son Thomas H. Johns, b. 1847
- His daughter Anna W. Johns, b. 1854
No known death date has been found for Shadrach Johns. His two grandchildren lived a long life both dying within a few weeks of each other in May and June 1955.
Alice Catherine Johns Toler is my Great Grand Aunt.
1. 1850 U. S. Census, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, population schedule, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, enumeration district (ED) No ED, page 109A, Line 11, Dwelling 161, Family/161, Household of Shadrach JOHN; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : viewed July 2011); citing National Archives Microfilm M432 Roll 851.
2. 1860 U. S. Census, Russell County, Alabama, population schedule, Seals Station, Russell County, Alabama, enumeration district (ED) No ED, page 893, Line 7, dwelling 238, family 227, Household of Shadrick Johns; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : viewed July 2011); citing National Archives Microfilm M653_22.
3. Land Deed - S. Johns & Others to Alice Goodwin Deed; 3 December 1866; Deed Book #6; Page(s) 177; Register of Deeds; Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, SC; 1999.
4. Bullock County, Alabama, Alabama, County Marriages, 1809-1950, , Marriage of Joel S. Toler & Alice Catherine Johns, 30 September 1869; image, Latter Day Saints, Family Search (http://www.FamilySearch.com : viewed, download 23 May 2014).
5. Ancestry, "Civil War Service Records" database, Military Service Records (http://www.fold3.com/ : accessed 29 May 2014), entry for J. S. Toler, Private; Company A, Alabama 29th Infantry Regiment.; Confederate.