Thursday, September 7, 2017

Treasure Chest Thursday~Proof of Marriage-Nancy E. Boatwright and John W. Therrill

Samuel Boatwright and his wife, Sarah Ann Hurst had five (5) known children. For years, I have not been able to find any evidence of daughter Nancy beyond the 1860 Census where she is listed as a 2 year old toddler. 

Recently, Chesterfield County placed all their Land Deeds on-line with access to everyone. This past week while browsing through Book 5 I found  a deed that partially explains why I could find no information about Samuel and Sarah Jane's daughter Nancy Boatwright.

This deed (DB 5, pages 103 &104) shows that Nancy married John W., Therrell and that she in now (6 August 1876) deceased.

Nancy E. Boatwrigh Therrill

Transcription:
“…personal of the Estate of the late Samuel Boatwright deceased, which I may have acquired through my late wife Nancy E. (The daughter of said Samuel) either…”

DB 5, page 103DB 5, page 104

J. W. Therrell to W. M. Boatwright Deed

State of South Carolina}
Chesterfield County}
Know all men by these presents that I John W. Therrell of said County and State, for and in consideration of one dollars to me in hand paid the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged paid by William M. Boatwright of said County and state, have granted, bargained, sold and released and do hereby grant, bargain, sell , release and quit claim to the said William M. Boatwright all the right, title, interest, claim and demand which I have now, or may hereafter have either in possession or expectancy of, in or to any share part or portion of the estate,both real and personal of the Estate of the late Samuel Boatwright deceased, which I may have acquired through my late wife Nancy E. (The daughter of said Samuel) either of the real or personal estate. To have and to Hold all and singular the premises and property aforesaid to him the said William M. Boatwright his heirs and assigns forever. And I do hereby bind myself and my Heirs, executors and administrators to warrant and forever defend the same to the said William M. Boatwright his Heirs and afsigns against myself and my heirs, claiming the same. In witnefs whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this Eight day of August A. D. 1876.
Signed,Sealed and delivered}                                           J. W. Therrell {Seal}
in presence of}
Hugh Craig}
A.W. Davis}

State of South Carolina}
Chesterfield County}
Personally appeared before me Hugh Craig and made oath that he saw John W. Therrell sign, seal, and as his act and deed deliver the within written Deed, and that he with A. W. Davis witnefsed the execution thereof.
Sworn to before me this 6th}                                                Hugh Craig
day of September 1876}
T. F. Mulloy}
Clk. }

Recorded this 15 day of August A.D. 1876 in Book A, Page 100
                                                                       J. Gashesie(?)
                                                                       County Auditor
Recorded 6th September 1876
Orig'l Delivd to W. M. Boatwright

















________________
[1] Land Deed - J. W. Therrell to W. M. Boatwright Deed; 8 August 1876; Deed Book #5; Page(s) 103 & 104; Register of Deeds; Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, SC; 3 September 2017.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Just one more reason to find and read those land records! I know you have found lots of data in those records over the years & this is just one more wonderful discovery. Great research, Charlie!

    ReplyDelete