Sunday, July 8, 2018

Last Will and Testament of Jeptha Gulledge

I’m aware that many of my readers have no idea who Jeptha Gulledge and his wife Catherine is but I hope to enlighten each of you through this blog.

Jeptha Gulledge was born 6 Dec 1801 in Chesterfield, SC a son of the reverend Joel Gulledge and Zilpha Huntley.

Sometime about 1824 Jeptha married Catherine Sellers. Catherine Sellers was born about 1806 also in Chesterfield County, SC.  Catherine was the daughter of John Sellers and Henrietta Norwood.
About this time also, many Chesterfield families had decided that they wanted to move westward in search of greener pastures. Catherine’s parents were among this group so naturally the newly wedded Jeptha and Catherine joined the caravan. There their first born, Thomas S. Gulledge, was born on 30 June 1825 in Carroll County, Tennessee.

Jeptha and Catherine would have a total of 7 children; 4 sons and 3 daughters.
 
Jeptha Gulledge wrote his Last Will and Testament on 4 September 1842. The probate of his estate with John W., Sellers took place in Oct 1842. I haven’t found his exact date of death for Jeptha but I know he died between 4 Sept. 1842 and  October Term 1842.

State of Tennessee  )
Carroll County  (  October Term 1842.
This day the last will and tesoment of Jeptha Gulledge was produced in open Court and the Executor their of was duly proven by the oathes of Hiram Laws and John W.  Sellers the two Subscribing witness their to and ordered to be recorded.
A Copy Test
Y W Allen  Clk.


Jeptha Gulledge Will, pg 1Jeptha Gulledge Will, pg 2
J. JEPTHA GULLEDGE
Considering the uncertainty of this mortal life and being of a sound mind and memory blessed be almighty God for the Same do make and publish this my last will and testament in manner and form following (that is to say),  First I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Catherine Gulledge all my land tenement houses barnes ways woods and water during her lifetime or widowhood to her and my boys that is I wish my boys to have fifty acres at the north end of my land whare Green Chambers now lives.  I also give to my wife two mares and one Sorrel colt four cowes her choice two hefers ten head of sheep ten choice head of fatning hogs waggon and Steers farming utensils household and Kitchen furniture two sows and pigs her choice.  I give and bequeath to my Son Thomas B.  Gulledge one A  colt give to my son Joel L.  Gulledge one A bay colt I give to my son Joel L.  Gulledge one Sorrel colt.I wish my son William R.  Gulledge to have a horse worth as much as the other boys colts out of my wife Shear of the property.  I give to my daughter Zelphia A.  Gulledge one cow and calf one feather bead.  I give to my daughter Mary Jane Gulledge one cow and calf and one feather Bead.  I give my Daughter Martha Ellen Gulledge one cow and calf and one feather Bead.  All the rest of my perishable property after my death to be sold to the highest bidder and my debts paid and the balance to be put out on Interest and as my children become of age to have an equal Shear of it.  I hereby appoint John Sellers, Sr. my Sole Executor of this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all former wills by me made.  In witness whare of I hereunto set my hand and seal this 4th day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand Eight hundred and forty two.
Witness:  Hiram Laws, John W.  Sellers  )
Jeptha Gulledge  (Seal)
State of Tennessee  )
Carroll County  (  October Term 1842.
This day the last will and tesoment of Jeptha Gulledge was produced in open Court and the Executor their of was duly proven by the oathes of Hiram Laws and John W.  Sellers the two Subscribing witness their to and ordered to be recorded.
A Copy Test
Y W Allen  Clk.


Jeptha' wife Catherine Sellers Gulledge is my 1st Cousin 5 times removed. 







_____________________________
[1] "Tennessee, Probate Court Books, 1795-1927," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/DGS-004768996_00449?cc=1909088&wc=M6Q7-T29:179638201,180028401 : accessed 12 Jul 2014), Carroll > Wills, 1822-1864, Vol. A > image 66 + 67 of 229.
[2] "Tennessee, Probate Court Books, 1795-1927," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-195-2283920-1-80?cc=1909088&wc=M6QQ-B3D:179638201,179886801 : accessed 13 Jul 2014), Carroll > Settlements, 1842-1845 > image 124 of 219.

No comments:

Post a Comment