Monday, June 24, 2019

Amanuensis Monday~The Last Will and Testament of Oliver Massey


Today’s subject is The Last Will and Testament of Oliver Massey, 1841.1






Last Will and Testament
Oliver Massey

In the name of God, Amen! I Oliver Massey of the State of Alabama and County of Perry, being in good health and of sound mind, do make and declare this, my last will and testament in manner + form following. I desire to be decently buried without any funeral, pomp or unnecessary applause. Also I give and devise to my beloved consort and wife, Kesiah Massey all my real and landed Estate consisting as follows: The Northwest Quarter of Section Eight in Township nineteen and Range Seven in the northeast quarter of section Eight in Township nineteen and Range seven. In the district of Lands sold at Cahawba, in the State aforesaid, with all and singular the accouterments and hereditaments therein to belonging or in any wise appertaining during the widowhood or natural life of my said wife. Also, I give and bequeath to my wife the following negro slaves (viz) a negro boy named Peter a Girl named Rose, and a boy named Henry, during her widowhood or natural life as aforesaid. Also two feather beds and furniture, and all my household furniture. Also my oxen and Cart, together with all my harness and farming utensils. Also my sorrel and black horses, four cows and calves, three sows and pigs and comfortable support for one year after my death. It is further my will that the above devised lands and bequeathed negroes at the death of my said wife shall be sold to the highest bidder at public auction, and the proceeds to be divided equally among all my legal heirs, except the portion of my daughter, Harriet Scarborough, which I wish laid out for a negro or negroes to be the use and benefit of her and the heirs of her body. It is my will further that the balance of my property be sold at public auction, and after defraying funeral expenses, and paying all my debts, be divided as follows, (viz) I desire and will that my son, Joseph have one horse, the value of seventy five dollars, and one feather bed and furniture. Also, I desire and will that my daughter, Lydia, have one feather bed and furniture, and all the bed furniture made with her own hands, her side saddle and one cow and calf. Also it is my desire and will that my daughter Margaret have one bed and furniture, and all the bed furniture made with her own hands, one cow and calf and one two year old heifer, and one sidesaddle. Also it is my will and desire that my son George Pope, have one horse, bridle and saddle of the value of one hundred dollars, one feather bed and furniture, one cow and calf, one two year old heifer, and one years tuition. It is further my will and desire that the balance of my property be equally divided among my legal heirs, the portion of my daughter Harriet I wished disposed of as above mentioned. From the confidence I repose in my sons James M. and Joseph Massey, I do constitute and appoint them my executors to carry this my last will and testament into effect.
Signed, Sealed and delivered        Oliver Mafsey {Seal}                                          

in the presence of 
A. B. Moore
John Davis
James G. Evans
Recorded April 2, 1841 J. B. Nave, Clerk

Oliver Massey, son of Arthur Massey and Elizabeth Alston, was married to Kesiah Holley. Kesiah was the daughter of Richard Holley and his wife Mary Elizabeth [LNU].






______________________________
[1] https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939K-TGDV-N?i=98&wc=M6DN-1PN%3A220031301%2C220031302&cc=1925446

No comments:

Post a Comment