Sunday, November 24, 2019

Coroner’s Inquiry: James W. Hunnicutt, deceased.

 Preliminary Examination in the case of The State vs the dead body of J. W. Hunnicutt

South Carolina}
Chesterfield County} Elizabeth Hunnicutt being sworn says J. W. Hunnicutt and myself were fixing a fence around the turnip patch and Mr. Hunnicutt had a pole on his shoulders and throwed it down and fell and died in a short time. Deceased has been afflicted with asthma for some time. I don’t know what caused his immediate death. Lewis Lisenby came to him first after he died.
                                    Elizabeth X her mark Hunnicutt


South Carolina}
Chesterfield County} L. T.. Lisenby sworn says I heard Mrs. Hunnicutt holler and I went when I asked what was the matter and she said Mr. Hunnicutt was dead up in the turnip patch, I went to where he was. I found him lying on his back dead. I don’t  [know] what caused his death.
                                                           L. T. Lisenby


South Carolina}
Chesterfield County} H. L. Lisenby sworn says I helped dress deceased J. W. Hunnicutt. I saw no marks of violence on his person, or anything to indicate any foul play.
                                                          H. L. Lisenby

South Carolina}
Chesterfield County} Dr. D. Thompson Teal being sworn says My opinion is that deceased, J. W. Hunnicutt, came to his death from direct heart failure.

                                                  D. Thompson Teal M. D.

South Carolina}
Chesterfield County} This is to certify that I have examined Witnesses in the case of the State vs the dead body of J. W. Hunnicutt and finding no violence nor indication of any foul play. I hereby give this burial permit to his relatives. Given under my hand and seal this day of November 1896.
                                                          C. M. Hunt
                                                          Coroner Chesterfield Co.


This report shows that my 2nd Great Grandfather died from a heart attack on 8 December 1896. His tombstone shows his death date to be 19 November 1896.  

James W. Hunnicutt/Huneycutt is my 2nd Great Grandfather.
________________________
[1] https://csidixie.org/inquests/4002

No comments:

Post a Comment