Wednesday, September 23, 2020

The Last Will of Jacob W. Sides

Last Will and Testament of  Jacob W. Sides



Transcription: 

State of North Carolina, Iredell County.

I, Jacob Sides, being of sound mind, but realizing the uncertainty of my earthly existence do make this my last will and testament.
1st. I will to my two sons John L. Sides and Charlie E. Sides all my land estate short 165 acres.
2nd. I will that my two daughters Laura J. Sides and Minnie E. Sides shall have a home and support from my land while they remain unmarried.
3rd. I will that my two daughters Sallie S. Crawford and Flora A. Watts $50.00 each to be paid in 4 years after my death no interest.
4th. I will my son D. W. Sides $100.00 to be paid in two years after my death no interest.
5th.  I will my son James A. Sides $100.00 and one mule named Jack provided he returns to the State in two years after my death otherwise said property to go to my two sons John L. Sides & Charles E. Sides.
6th I will the remainder of my estate to my two sons John L. Sides & Charles E. Sides after the above amounts named are paid with all my just debts.
I appoint D. W. Sides & John L.Sides executors of this will
Witness my hand and seal this 28th day of Oct 1905.     J. W. Sides {Seal}
Witnesses; L. C. Stevenson   
                  W. F. Sharp

North Carolina,
         Iredell County.    In the Superior Court, before the Clerk
A paper-writing purporting to be the last will and testament of J.W.Sides, deceased is exhibited before me, the undersigned, Clerk of the Superior Court for said County, by D. W. Sides and John L. Sides the executors therein mentioned, and the due execution thereof is proven by the oath and examination of L. C. Stevenson and W. F. Sharpe the subscribing Witnesses thereto. Who being duly sworn doth depose and say, and each for himself deposeth and saith that he is a subscribing witness to the paper-writing now shown him purporting to be the last will and testament of J. W. Sides that the said J.W. Sides in the presence of this deponent, subscribed his name at the end of said paper-writing now shown as aforesaid, and which bears date of the 28th day of Oct, 1905.    
     And the deponent further said, that the said J. W. Sides testator aforesaid, did, at the time of subscribing his name as aforesaid, declare the said paper-writing so subscribed by him and exhibited, to be his last will and testament, and this deponent did thereupon subscribe his name at the end of said will as an attesting witness thereto, and at the request and in the presence of said testator. And this deponent further saith, that at said time when the said testator subscribed his name to the said last will as aforesaid and at time of deponent's subscribing his name as an attesting witness thereto, as aforesaid, the said J. W. Sides was of sound mind and memory, of full age to execute a will and was not under restraint to the knowledge, information or belief of this deponent. And further, these deponents say not.
Severally sworn and subscribed this 2nd day of March   W. F. Sharpe {Seal}
1905, before me J. A. Hartness, Cl'k Superior Court.   L. C. Steveson {Seal}

North Carolina,   
Iredell county             In the Superior Court
It is therefore considered and adjudged by the court that the paper-writing, and every part thereof, is the last will and testament of J. W. Sides, deceased, and the same with the foregoing examination and this certificate are ordered to be recorded and filed.
                                                           J. A. Hartness, Clerk Superior Court.
This 7th day of May 1905

All the known children of Jacob W. Sides and his wife Emily C. Lewis are named within the Will above. There were 8 children; 4 sons and 4 daughters.

Emily, his wife, died in February 1885; Jacob W. Sides died on 2 January 1906 in Iredell County, North Carolina.

Jacob W. Sides is my 1st Cousin 4 times removed.




___________________________
[1] https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-LGHG-92YV?i=283&wc=32GS-YWP%3A169767201%2C170213601&cc=1867501

[2] Iredell County, North Carolina, Will Books:Vol. 6, page 501 Will of Jacob W. Sides; Probate Office, Statesville, Iredell County, North Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment