Monday, July 3, 2023

The Last Will and Testament of Willis W. Alsobrooks

 The latest edition of our genealogical newsletter, “Chesterfield Chronicles, Spring 2023” contain an article on Willis W. Alsobrooks, 1792-1858, Miner and Farmer, on pages 66-68.To add to that information I decided to post this his Last Will and Testament. 

Last Will & Testament of Willis Alsobrooks of Union County NC – Written June 10, 1850 – Probated October Term of Court in 1867;


In the name of God Amen, I, Willis Alsobrooks of the County of Union & State of North Carolina, calling to mind the uncertainty of life and being desirous that such worldly goods and estate as it hath pleased Almighty God to bless me with, may be enjoyed by my children and their descendants, and being at this time of sound and perfect mind and disposing memory, do make and publish this to be my last will and testament in manner and form following.
First – I commend my soul to God who gave it and my body to the dust from whence it was taken and to be buried in a decent and becoming Christian manner.
Secondly – I will that my funeral expenses and all my just debts and all expenses incurred in the management of my estate to be paid out of my personal property.
Thirdly – I give and bequeath unto my wife Martha Alsobrooks, during her natural life the house I now occupy with one hundred acres of land attached. Also three Negro slaves named Peter and his wife Loven (?) and Charles along with this understanding and desire that my said wife is to have the use and benefit of the above mentioned land and Negroes, as long as she remains on the premises, not to be sold or conveyed by her or anyone for her, and in the event my said wife should desire to leave and do leave the premises, the land and the Negroes mentioned aforesaid, shall belong to my daughter Louisa Grady and her bodily heirs.
Fourthly  – I give and bequeath unto my grandson, John Alsobrooks Nuffer, one hundred dollars.
Fifthly – I give and bequeath unto my granddaughters, Emeline and Catharine Nuffer, five hundred dollars each.
Sixthly – I give and bequeath unto my daughter Louisa Grady, wife of Henry Grady, the rest and residue of my estate, not subject to the debts, contracts, or encumbrances of the said Henry Grady, but to belong to my daughter Louisa Grady during her natural life and then to their children, including one tract of land containing about eight hundred and forty acres, more or less, adjoining the properties of W. W. Alsobrooks, L. H. Alsobrooks, K. C. Timmons, D. Chears, Isaac Hilton, Nelson Timmons and also the following Negro slaves; Mary, Alick, Harriet, Violet and her children, Eli, Aaron, Robin and Isaac; Fanny and her children, Jacob, Essex, Malinda, Elizabeth, George and Julia Ann, Winney , Betsy and Andrew.
Seventh – I desire that if my wife shall leave the premises bequeathed to her mentioned in item #3 or at her death that the premises and Negroes shall go forth into the possession of my daughter Louisa Grady, for her and her children’s use, subject to the restrictions in item #60.
Eight – I bequeath unto my daughter, Louisa Grady, subject to the restrictions in item #6, after the payment of all my just debts and necessary expenses in the management of my estate and the legacy to John Alsobrooks Nuffer and Emeline A. Nuffer and Catharine Nuffer, the rest and residue of my estate of whatever kind it may be.

Item #9 – And for the purpose of carrying out my intentions into effect, I do hereby nominate, constitute and appoint Henry Grady and Louisa Grady my Executor and Executrix, to this my last will and testament hereby revoking all former wills by me heretofore made and declaring this and no other to be my last will and testament. In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this the tenth day of June, 1850.                                                          Willis Alsobrooks
Signed, Sealed and Published in the Presence of
William A. Malloy,
J. H. Robinson,
J. C. Craig

State of North Carolina
Union County Court of Pleas Quarter Sessions, October Term 1867 –
Then the last will and testament of Willis Alsobrooks was exhibited in open court and proved in due favor of law by the oath of William A. Malloy, one of the witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded.
                                                                              J. E. Irby, C. C. C.

Willis W. Alsobrooks named his wife; Martha, one daughter, Louisa Grady wife of  Henry Grady and three grandchildren, John Alsobrooks Nuffer, Emeline and Catharine Nuffer.




____________________

1. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:2:77TG-GH72?i=167&wc=32LX-T3D%3A170030801%2C169881001&cc=1867501

No comments:

Post a Comment