Monday, June 22, 2015

Amanuensis Monday~WILL of Maggie E. Perkins

 
Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Today’s subject is the WILL of Maggie E. Perkins, written in March 1919.1

Maggie E. Perkins WILL

WILL of Maggie E. Perkins
I, Maggie E. Perkins of Chesterfield County, south Carolina, being of sound mind, memory and understanding and desiring to arrange my affairs while I may, do make, ordain, publish and declare the following as my last will and testament, revoking all former wills by me made:-
1. I bequeath unto my daughters Margaret A. Duncan and Eliza Jane Shaw Ten Dollars each, but as to Mary F. Lawson I leave nothing for the reason that I have already given her enough as I see it.
2. I give to the adopted son of Julia E. Rivers, Mayo Moore Rivers as he is called by them, One bedstead, feather bed, mattress and Springs.
3. I give and bequeath the rest of the personal property of which I may die seized and possessed to my children William A. Perkins, Julian B. Perkins, James E. Perkins, John D. Perkins, David R. Perkins, Kate Giles, Iris Jones, Minnie Horton and Julia E. Rivers, share and share alike - it being my desire and intention that after the first and second clauses of this will are carried out that my children named in the clause (3) shall take in equal shares all the personal property of which I may die seized and possessed. I have no real estate now as I have conveyed all the interest I have in any lands in Chesterfield County, South Carolina, in a manner satisfactory to myself.
4. I nominate, constitute and appoint my son David R. Perkins the Executor of this my will.
                                   In testimony whereof I have hereunto set
                                   my hand and affixed my seal this 22nd
                                   March A. D. , 1919.

Signed, sealed, published and}
declared by Maggie E. Perkins as}
and for her last will and}
testament, in the presence of}
us who in her presence and}
at her request and in the presence}
of each other have subscribed}
our names as witnesses this}
22nd day of March A. D. , 1919.}                     M. E. Perkins (seal)
J. A. Knight
E. J. Moore
F. M. Cannon

 
Maggie E. Perkins was born Margaret Emeline Davis, daughter of William Davis and Julia Thurman. She was their youngest child and was born on 17 October 1840. Maggie married James Franklin Perkins about 1856. The 1910 census shows that James and Maggie had been married for 54 years. 

Margaret Emeline “Maggie E.” Davis Perkins died 18 March 1926. She was buried at Friendship United Methodist Church Cemetery.

Maggie E. Davis Perkins is my 1st cousin 4 times removed.


----------------------------------
[1] "South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19383-32527-49?cc=1911928&wc=MPP5-N38:190567401,190561002,190567402,191815201 : accessed 22 June 2015), Chesterfield > Probate Court, Estate records > 1865-1927 > Cases 0980-1052 > image 1310 of 1643; county courthouses, South Carolina, and South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia.
























No comments:

Post a Comment