Monday, June 1, 2015

Amanuensis Monday~Will of Mary Ann Davis


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.


His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another. 

Today’s subject is the WILL of Mary Ann Davis written 10 October 1891.[1]

The State of South Carolina
In the name of God, Amen.

I Mary A. Davis, of the County of Chesterfield and state aforesaid, being of sound mind and memory, do make my last will and testament in manner and form following that is to say.
First, It is my will and desire that all my just debts and funeral expense be paid.

Second, I hereby give devise and bequeath all the property I may own at the time of my death both real and personal, bonds & mortgages, monies and all other property to my husband George R. Davis.

Third, I hereby nominate constitute and appoint my husband George R. Davis Executor of this my last will and Testament hereby revoking all former wills by me made.

                        In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 10th day of October 1891.

Signed, sealed,and published and }
declared by the said Mary A }
Davis, as and for her last }                             M. A. Davis {Seal}
will and testament in our }
presence, who, in her presence}
at her request, and in the }
presence of each other have }
subscribed our names as }
witness to the due execution}
of the same }
Joe W. Hanna }
J. D. Evans }
W. J. Hanna}

Mary Ann Davis is the daughter of John Calvin Davis and Charlotte Hurst. She married George Richard Davis on 17 July 1870. They had 7 children; 3 daughters and 4 sons. Their youngest, John Henry, was just shy of his 5th birthday when his Mother wrote the above Will.

Mary Ann died 15 June 1905 and her hasband George died  on 7 August 1912. They are buried at Friendship United Methodist Church Cemetery.


___________________________
[1] "South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19416-14292-13?cc=1911928&wc=MPPB-JW5:190567401,190561002,190567402,191475301 : accessed 31 Mar 2014), Chesterfield > Probate Court, Estate records > 1865-1927 > Cases 0830-0899 > image 1450 of 1670; county courthouses, South Carolina, and South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment