Monday, November 21, 2016

Amanuensis Monday~Last Will and Testament of Martha Hannah Rushing Davis, 1925.


 
Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is: 

Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.
 
Today’s subject is the Last Will and Testament of Martha Hannah Rushing Davis, 1925. 1

Martha Hannanh Davis WILLState of South Carolina}
County of Chesterfield}
          I, Martha H. Davis, of Chesterfield County, South Carolina being of sound mind and disposing mind, memory and understanding, do make, ordain, publish and declare the following is my last will and Testament, revoking all former wills by me at any time made-
1st,.– It is my Will and desire that all my just debts, and burial  expenses be paid, and my grave suitably marked by my executors hereinafter named.
2nd:-
I will, devise and bequeath all my property, personal and real and mixed wherever situate to my son, Weldon Davis, and my daughter Bessie Davis (share and share alike) in fee simple absolute.
3rd:- I hereby nominate, constitute and appoint, Weldon Davis and Bessie Davis as Executor and Executrix of this my last will and Testament. Witness my hand and seal this 21st October 1925.
Signed, sealed published}
and declared by the Testatrix}
as and for her Last Will}
and Testament in her}
presence,and at her}                      x Martha H. Davis {seal}
request and in the}
presence of each other}
The 21st October, 1925.}
J. S. Davis
Mrs. J. A. Davis
J. P. Huggins


Martha Hannah Davis died 23 March 1926 and was buried in Peniel Cemetery, Chesterfield County, South Carolina. Only two children survive her; Weldon and Bessie Davis.  


Martha Hannah Rushing was the widow of my 2nd Cousin 3 times removed, George W. Martin Davis.





______________________________
[1] "South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19383-31293-52?cc=1911928 : 21 May 2014), Chesterfield > Probate Court, Estate records > 1865-1927 > Cases 1053-1137 > image 1270 of 1673; county courthouses, South Carolina, and South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment