Sunday, November 6, 2016

Chesterfield County SC Estates~Estate Folder #27–Archibald McQuaige.

 

This is a new series of posting, appearing every Sunday, on selected Estate Folders from the Estate files of Chesterfield County. No known estates exist for the period before the Civil War. They were destroyed with the burning of the Courthouse. There are a few “Equity Records” in the State Archives. Do not overlook this valuable resources if you are looking for ancestors in Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
Today we will be looking at the following Estate folders:
Folder #27
Archibald McQuaige
This estate folder begins at image #87 and ends with image #95. (images 87-95)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19383-29549-12?cc=1911928

Archibald McQuaige WILL, page 1Archibald McQuaige WILL, page 2
----The State of South Carolina ----
I Archibald McQuaige of the District of Chesterfield and State aforesaid do make publish and declare this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following that is to say –
First—I will and desire that all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid out of my Estate—
Second—I give and bequeath to my wife Catherine the whole of my estate, after the payment of my debts and funeral expenses, both real and personal consisting of the tract of land whereon I now reside, lying on both sides of the road leading to Wadesborough, containing about three hundred and thirty there acres and stock of cattle, Horses Hogs Sheep Plantation tools Household and Kitchen furniture for and during the term of her natural life, and at her death, as follows, to wit---
To my son Farquar McQuaig I give that part of my real estate which lies on the East and North side of the road leading to Wadesborough, it being about the one half of the tract upon which I now reside and which I have given to my wife for life, to him and his heirs forever.
To my son Colon McQuaig I give that part of my real estate which lies on the West and South side of the road leading to Wadesborough, it being the remaining one half of the same tract, to him and his heirs forever.
I give unto my sons Farquar and Colon the whole of my personal property of all kinds whatsoever which remains at the death of my wife, to be equally divided between them. On the condition that they pay to each of my daughters to wit – Margaret May, Pamela Crawford, Abigail Melton and Mary Stroud the sum of ten dollars which I intend to be their portion of my estate
Third – I constitute and appoint my wife Catherine, Executrix and my son Colon executor of this my Last Will and testament.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this twenty second day of August in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty eight.
Signed Sealed published and declaredAlexander McQuaige Signature
as and for the last will and Testament
of the above names Archibald McQuaige
in the presence of us who at his request
and in the presence of each other have
hereunto affixed our names as witnesses thereto.
 

Archibald McQuaige estate file (Probate Folder #27) does not show as exact date for his death.
His Last Will and Testaments is dated 22 August 1858.
He was alive in 1860 when the 1860 Census were enumerated in Chesterfield County, South Carolina (7 July 1860)

1860 CENSUS: Chesterfield, South Carolina; Roll: M653_1217; Image: 264; Family History Library Film: 805217, Page: 130 (stamped); Line 35, Dwelling 523, Family 522; Archd McQUAGE, male, age 76, born in NC and Catherine McQUAGE, Female, age 71, born in SC.
 
The earliest date of documents within the estate folder are dated 5 September 1887. I believed that Archibald died much earlier than that and something (probably the sale of his land) resulted in the necessity to probate his estate.
 
Archibald and Catherine had at least 7 children; six of these children are named above in his Will.
i.    Pamela McQuaige, born Jul 1818; married Stephen Crawford; died 1901.
ii.    Mary McQuaige, born abt 1823; married Calvin C. Stroud.
iii.   Colon McQuaige was born about 1825.
iv.   Farquar McQuaige was born about 1827.
v.    Margaret McQuaige was born (date unknown). Margaret May
vi.   Abigail McQuaige was born (date unknown). Abigail Melton
vii.   Daniel McQuaige was born about 1833.(died before his father wrote his will in August 1858?)



___________________________
[1] "South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19383-29549-12?cc=1911928 : 21 May 2014), Chesterfield > Probate Court, Estate records > 1865-1927 > Cases 0023-0064 > image 87 of 709; county courthouses, South Carolina, and South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia.















1 comment: