Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Deed of Gift to Rachel Port Davis Newsom


Rachel Port Davis is my 2nd Cousin 3 times removed. Rachel Port Davis was born abt 1789, a daughter of Lt. Joseph B. Davis and his wife Anne Keene.

Rachel married James Newsom on 7 June 1813 in Marion County, South Carolina. 

Land Deeds are a great source for potential genealogical information on families. Not all land deeds will have pertinent information but when you do find a deed with information it could be your genealogical goldmine.

On 2 April 1818, Joseph B. Davis, father of Rachel Port Davis Newsom made the following Deed of Gift to his daughter. It was witnessed by a son and a brother of Joseph Davis. 

Transcription:

DEED BOOK I, page 23-24

Joseph Davis }
To}
Rachel P. Newsom}To all men to whom these presents Shall come Greeting I Joseph Davis of the State of South Carolina in the District of Marion Planter do in  Consideration of the love good will and regard I have for and bear Towards Daughter Rachel Port Newsom lend her the use of Two negroes Slaves and their increase the Said two Negro Slaves  known and distinguished by the Names of Peggy and Anthony during the natural life of her the said Rachel Port Newsom and give to her Ifsue if any at the time of her death but in case She should die leaving no ifsue then and in Such case the two above named Slaves to wit Peggy and Anthony and their increase (page 24) to be deemed a part of my Estate as if this Deed had never been given in confirmation of this my Deed I have this day delivered into the hand of her the Said Rachel Port Newsom one of the above named Negroes Slaves to wit. Peggy in the name of the Two and for the use and purpose above Mentioned and I do hereby nominate and appoint my Son Daniel Horry Davis Trustee to this my Deed of Gift and I have hereunto Set my hand and Seal this Second day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand Eighteen hundred & Eighteen and in the forty Second of the American Independence.
                                                    Joseph Davis {S.S.}
Signed sealed & delivered in the presence of
Henry Davis. Jr. William C. Davis


South Carolina}
Marion District} Personally appeared before me Thos. Harelee M. E. Henry Davis, Jr., who Being duly Sworn Sayeth that he saw Joseph Davis Sign Seal & deliverer the within Deed of Gift for the use and purposes we then named also Saw William C. Davis Sign the Same as Subscribing witnefs with himself Sworn to before me this the 7th April 1819. Thos. Harelee M. E. Henry Davis Jr., Recorded May 21, 1819 Thos. Harelee R. M. C.


Rachel Port Davis is my 2nd Cousin 3 times removed.

Lt. Joseph B. Davis is my 1st Cousin 3 times removed.


____________________

[1] Marriage: South Carolina Marriages From 1600-1820; https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q29P-YDKF

[2] Deed of Gift: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSLV-5LSX?i=608&cat=472601



No comments:

Post a Comment