Sunday, August 9, 2020

Joseph Davis To Daughter Ann Maria Fladger


Joseph Davis}
To}
Ann Maria Fladger} To all men to whom these presents shall come Greetings. I, Joseph Davis of the State of South Carolinas and in the District of Marion Planter do in consideration of the love good will and Regard, I have for and bear towards my daughter Ann Maria Fladger lend to her the use of two Negroe Slaves, known and distinguished by the names of Sophiah Bonapart during her Natural life, and give to her Ifsue if any, but in such case she should die leaving no ifsue then and in Such the two above named to be deemed a part of my Estate as if this Deed had never been given in confirmation of this my deed I have this day delivered unto her hand and of the above named Negroes namely Sophiah, in the Name of the two, and for the use and purposes above mentioned, and I do hereby nominate and appoint my son Abraham Giles Davis Trustee to this my Deed of Gift and I have hereunto fixed my hand & seal this first day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fourteen and in the thirty Eights years of American Independence.                                Joseph Davis {}
Signed & Sealed in the
presence of
Ann Dozer}
William Davis}
Henry Davis, Jr.}


South Carolina}
Marion District} By William Jugerlon Jr. (?) one of the Justices afsigned to keep the peace in and for the District of Marion personally came before me Henry Davis, Jr., and after being by me duly sworn made oath that he saw the within named Joseph Davis Sign seal and deliver the within instrument of writing unto the within named Ann Maria Fladger for the use and purpose within mentioned and that Ann Dozer and William Davis was the other subscribing Witnefs with himself. Sworn to before me this 3 day of September 1811.
Wm. Eagerton, Jr.                                              Henry Davis, Jr.
Recorded 5 June 1821 Thos. Harllee, R. M.



Lt. Joseph B. Davis is conveying a Deed of Gift of 2 Slaves to his daughter Ann Marie. Ann Marie Davis married Capt. Hugh Giles Fladger about 1809. Their first known child was born in 1810. Abraham Giles Davis, son of Joseph, was named Trustee. Witnesses were also family members or relatives consisting of Ann Dozer, William Davis and Henry Davis, Jr.

Lt. Joseph B. Davis is my 1st Cousin 4 times Removed.






_____________________
[1] Marion County, South Carolina, DEED BOOK I: page 394, Joseph Davis to Ann Maria Fladger; Register of Deeds, Marion, Marion County, South Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment