Sunday, January 31, 2021

Documenting and Proving Another Generation

For quite some time a large portion of my time has been spent researching my paternal lineage,  proving the line back to my 3rd Great Grandmother Charity Dry was quite simple. Pushing back additional generations with solid documentation was somewhat problematic especially the connection between the 4th and 5th generation. But tenacity won out and last year I was admitted into the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR) based on my 5th Great Grandfather Charles Dry commitment to his new homeland.  


My next objective was to attempt to push back on Charity’s mothers line; a lady by the name of Catherine Keppel. I had no idea who Catherine Keppel’s parents were but about 6 months ago a young lady (Patty) living near here in North Carolina ask me to assist her in her attempt to join the DAR.  In our exchange of documents she brought to my attention three (3) land deeds that were the key to pushing Catherine Keppel/Koppel’s lineage back another generation. The introduction to these 3 land deeds reads:

“Know all men by these presents that I george Erenhart in Right of my wife Margaret & I John grube in the wright of my wife Elisabeth & I Martin dry in wright of My Wife Catherine & I peter Koppel & John Coppell strikethru & Henry Copple all of us Lawfull Heirs & Legatees of Peter Koppler deceased have remised released  & foreever quit for us our heirs Executors Adm'n and by these presents do remise release & for Ever quit claim unto Killian Kopple of all that tract of land lying & being in the County of Cabarrus & State of No. Carolina on the waters of Little Buffalo Creek...”

That's a lot of family history in one little paragraph and its clearly proved that Catherine Koppler Dry is the daughter of Peter Koppler, deceased.  The land deed names all of the children of Peter Keppel and their spouses. It didn’t mention his wife.

These land deeds can be found in Cabarrus County, North Carolina, Deed Book 6, pages 166, 167 and 168.

Next, I received an email from another family historian in Arizona. Amy was researching her Kepley line and sent me this request. 

I’m stuck a bit trying to prove that James E. Kepley is the son of Daniel Kepley, and then trying to tie Daniel Kepley to his parents John Killian Keppel & Sarah Crowell/Krawl, and then try to link to Peter Keppel Sr. and Anna Grobb. 

[Note: All of this was proven and documented.]

Since I was already researching the Kepley line I responded with a big YES I will help. Again in our exchange of documents and emails Amy brought this awesome document to my attention. The Marriage of Peter Kepple and Anna Grob  in 1756, Goshenhoppen, Montgomery County Pennsylvania.      

Transcription:

Item 32
Peter Kepple, single, Lutheran, born 1730 May, son of Paul Keppel. Came to America in 1750. Married Anna Elisabeth, single, Lutheran, 20 years of age, da(ughter) of Johan Grob, from Whitehall township. Banns published (1) on Dec. 28, 1755 in Old Goshahoppen, (2) on Jan 1; (3) on Jan. 4 in Old Gosh. Married January 6, [1756]."

Page 58 of a Marriage Book

Networking with Amy in Arizona we think that we have found the next Generation (Paulus Koppel) with this document and the father name mentioned in the marriage document.

Page 289

List of Foreigners Imported in the Ship Phoenix, John Mason, Master, from Rotterdam Qualified
Sept, 15, 1749
Heinrich Koppel,
Michel Koppel
Jacob  Koppel
Paulus  Koppel
Peter  Koppel

NAMES OF FOREIGNERS who took the OATH OF ALLEGIANCE to the PROVINCE AND STATE of PENNSYLVANIA, 1720-1775 With the Foreign Arrivals, 1786-1808. Edited by WILLIAM HENRY EGLE, M. D.; Clearfield Publishing Company

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=loc.ark:/13960/t87h1rr72&view=1up&seq=297&q1=mason

I have written very often about the priceless value of Land Deeds in your genealogical research. If you are not doing land deeds research you are rejecting a very valuable resource within your genealogy reach. 


Catherine Keppel Dry is my 4th Great Grandmother.

Peter Keppel and Anna Grob are my 5th Great Grandparents.

Paulus Keppel is my 6th Great Grandfather.





_____________________________________

Note: The Kepley surname has been found as Capley; Keppel; Kapple; Keoppel; Kappley; Cauble, Keppel; Cople; Koppel; 

[1] Land Deed - Division of the Estate of Peter Kapple Sr.; 8 August 1807; Deed Book #6; Page(s) 158; Register of Deeds; Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina; 12 December 2020.

[2] https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=loc.ark:/13960/t87h1rr72&view=1up&seq=297&q1=mason

Special THANKS to Patty and Amy and all of the numerous individuals who have shared their research throughout the past years.

No comments:

Post a Comment