Thursday, December 2, 2021

Revolutionary War Enlistment~Bollin Huneycutt

Research on the Hunnicutt/Huneycutt/Honeycutt Surname along with many other variations has been on-going for years. One of those men who have been so elusive is Bolin Huneycutt.

This week a new document came into my hand, sent to me by a young eager family historian. It was a first for me and a very important document concerning Bolin Huneycutt. Up until this point, we knew Bolin was married, had a wife named Sarah and three boys, Silas, Joel and John. We also had a Will that Bolin left at his death in Anson County, North Carolina. He was enumerated in two Anson County Censuses and died there in 1810 sometime before 2 June 1810. Based on census I had his birth occurring about 1751.  

The Enlistment document found this week contains the following statement

I Bollin Hunnycutt of the County of Chatham and State aforesaid about twenty five years old

the Document is dated 1780; so if Bolin is 25 then his birth year is 1755; thus, an adjustment was made in my database.

Transcription:

Courtesy of Sherry Graham

State of North Carolina}

I Bollin Hunnycutt of the County of Chatham and State aforesaid about twenty five years old about five feet Eleven inched High Black hair Dark Eyes farmer to trade Have vollunterily <sic> Enlisted Myself a Soldier for the term of three years or During the war with Great Brittain and to serve in one of the Continental Regiments of this State and I do Sware <sic> on the Holy Evangelist of almighty God that I Will Be true and faithfull to the United States and Be obeyed and to the orders of all the officers put over me and in causes Behave Myself as a Good and faithfull Soldier Agreeable to articles of war made for the Government of the Continental Army and I do further Sware <sic> that I am healthy sound & clear of any ulcers or Sores on my legs and any other part of My Body and that I an no Seaman (?) or foreigner and that I was a Citizen of this State before this 8th Day of May 1780.
Sworn before me}                                       Bollin X his mark Hunnycutt
4th day Nov. 1780}
John Nichols, J. P.

https://digital.ncdcr.gov/digital/collection/p16062coll26/id/356

https://digital.ncdcr.gov/digital/collection/p16062coll26/id/904/rec/3

These documents add a new area of research for Bolin Huneycutt, and the potential to discover his parentage, maiden name of wife and other personal information. A good description of his physique is contained with the Enlistment Document.

________________________________

The two documents mentioned within this web blog were provided Courtesy of Sherry Graham. My thanks to Sherry for providing a copy and the links to these documents. 

Do keep in mind that Bolin/Bollen and Huneycutt/Honeycutt are spelled many different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment