Monday, October 24, 2022

The Last Will & Testament of Ann (Davis) Dozier

 Ann Catherine Davis was born November 1758, a daughter of Benjamin Davis, Sr. and Rachel Port. She was the seventh of twelve children born to Ben and Rachel. She had eight brothers and three sisters.

Ann Catherine was twice married. She first married Dr. Abraham Giles, Jr. and had one known child, Elizabeth, before his passing about 1790. She next married Captain John Dozier on 24 December 1791. To this union was borne four known children; three sons and a daughter. 

Ann Catherine died in 1824 leaving her Last Will and Testament.

Will Book 1, page 145
Transcription:

Ann Dozier's Will     pg 145

In the name of God Amen I Ann Dozier widow of John Dozier late of the State of South Carolina and District of Marion do make ordain and declare this Instrument of writing to be my last Will and testament revoking all others Imprimis All my debts of which there are but  a few and none of magnitude are to be punctually and speedily paid and the legacies hereinafter bequeathed are to be discharged as soon as circumstances will permit and in manner herein directed Item to my Nephew  Benjamin Davis I give and bequeath my negro man Ben who is to be valued and the said Benjamin Davis to pay one half of said valuation to his Brother Francis Davis Item to my Niece Ann Giles Davis I give and bequeath the sum of 5 hundred paid out of my Estate at the time of my death Item to my brother William Davis I give and bequeath my negro man Will to him and his heirs forever Item to my Brother Henry Davis I give and bequeath my negro Nan to him and his heirs forever Item to my brother Joseph Davis  I give and bequeath my negro man Moses during his Natural life and at his death to his son Abraham Giles Davis but if upon valuation of the three last mentioned negroes it is found they are not equal in value it is my will and desire that my Executors  hereinafter mentioned shall make up the discrepancy out of the residue of my Estate Item To my sister Rachael Godfrey I give and bequeath my negro woman Betty during her natural life and at her death to her son David William Godfrey if living if not to her other son James Ervin Godfrey together with my wearing apparel It may appear strange upon the face of this instrument That I should bequeath to an only Sister and one raised by me so small a legacy but let it be remembered that I have given to her and his issue the following negroes and their increase vis Diana Tiner Jupeter Pete Moses Dado and Monemia by Deed if Gift bearing date the fifteenth day of October One thousand eight hundred and five. Item to my niece Ann D. Godfrey daughter of Rachel Godfrey I give and bequeath my negro girl Satyra but in case she should die under age without lawful issue it is my will & desire that the said Girl with her increase should return to her younger sister Rachael Mary Godfrey.

(Pg 146)
To my nephew David W. Godfrey I give and bequeath my negro boy Wilson to him and his heirs forever bit in case he should die under age or without lawful issue it is my will and desire that the said boy should return to his  younger Brother James Ervin Godfrey Item  to my Nephew James Ervin Godfrey I give and bequeath my negro boy Jacob to him and his heirs forever but in case he should die under age or without lawful issue it is my will and desire that the two last mentioned legacies should return to the rest of thee children of the aforesaid Rachel Godfrey. It is nevertheless my will and desire the two  said negroes Boys nelson and Jacob should remain in the possession of my said Sister Rachel Godfrey during her life. Item to my niece Rachel Allison wife of Jas. H. Allison I give and bequeath my negro Girl Sally and her increase during her life and at her death to the use of her children. Item To my Niece Ann S. Davis  wife of  Abijah Davis I give and bequeath one feather Bed and furniture to her and her heirs forever. Item the residue of my Estate if any I give  and bequeath to my two said Brothers William and Henry Davis also to my two nephews William and Abraham G. Davis to be equally divided  between them share and share alike. Lastly, I  hereby constitute and appoint my two brother William and Henry David Executors of this my last Will and Testament Hoping that as such it may be considered by relations who are mentioned in it and that no dispute may arise between them respecting the disposition of my little property which I have disposed of in as equitable manner among them as their situation and my circumstances  would all met of. In witnesses of all and each of the things herein contained I have hereunto set my hand and seal the Twenty third day of August in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and nineteen and in the forty third year of the Independence of the United States of America Signed and Sealed in presence of
Illegible Foxworth
Mary Foxworth                                             Ann Dozier {Seal}
Elizabeth Greaves

 
(Page 147)

South Carolina} Know all men by these presents that I Ann
Marion District} Dozier of the State and District aforesaid have heretofore made a Will and not wishing to revoke the same but wish to make some alterations (Viz) Instance of the five hundred dollars mentioned in it for Ann G. Davis that a small negro Girl ten or twelve years old should by my Executors be purchased for her. The property mentioned in my last Will bequeathed to David W. Godfrey I wish to be given to Rachael; Mary Godfrey her and her heirs forever. I also wish my beloved Elizabeth Greaves to have from my Estate five head of Stock cattle  a bed and furniture and fifty dollars. In [witness] whereof I have hereunto set mu hand and Seal the 17th March 1821.
Signed Sealed and acknowledged in the presence
of Thomas Evans}
Jno. J. Clarke}                                                          Ann Dozier {Seal}
Benjm. F. Godfrey}

South Carolina}
Marion District} By Thomas Harllee Ordy M. D.   Personally appeared Elizabeth Greaves and made oath that she was personally present and Saw Ann Dozier the within named Testator Sign Seal publish pronounce and declare the within to be and contain her last Will and Testament  and Iscuhar Foxwith & Mary Foxwith were subscribing witnefses to the same in the presence of each other and that she the said Ann Dozier was then of sound deposing mind to the best of the deponents knowledge and belief in the presence of the Testator Sworn to before this 5th of April 1824
Thomas Harllee                                                   Elizabeth Greaves
Ordy

South Carolina}  By  Thomas Harllee Ordinary of said District  Personally
Marion District} appeared John Jay Clark one of the subscribing Witnefses to the Codicil; of the Will of Ann Dozier and made oath that he was personally present and saw the said Ann Dozier Sign Seal publish pronounce and declare the same to be her last Will and that She was then of sound disposing mind and memory to the best of this deponent knowledge and belief and that Thomas Evans and Benjm F. Godfrey were subscribing witnefses to the same in the presence of each other.
Sworn to before me
this 5th April 1824                                                    John J. Clarke
Thomas Harllee Ordy
Recorded May 29th, 1829

Ann (Davis) Dozier is my 1st Cousin 6X Removed.  

________________________

[1] Marion District, South Carolina, Will Book 1, pages 145, 146, & 147 Ann Dozier's Will; https://www.familysearch.org, Marion, Marion County, South Carolina.

Will Book 1, Page 145, 146 and 147; Image 98
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9PT-29ZY-V?i=97&cat=391278

No comments:

Post a Comment