Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Mary (Copeland) Graves Land Plat

 So. Carolina

I do hereby certify for MARY GRAVES (Heiress of Stephen Copeland) of Land Containing Two Hundred Acres (surv’ed for her the 9th August 1788) Situate on the District of Cheraw on the No. side of Thompsons—Creek on a branch of Cedar Creek and hath such form, marks, cuttings and boundings as the above Plat Represents.

Given under my hand this 14th Nov. 1788.

Francis Bremar L:G:

Alex Craig

Dep. Surv.


On 9 August 1788, 200 acres of land was surveyed for Mary Graves along the upper border of Chesterfield adjacent to the North Carolina State Line. My reading of the land plat shows that she was an heiress of Stephen Copeland. 

I have several unanswered questions:

Do any of you know why she was awarded this land?

As heiress of Stephen Copeland, was she his daughter or related otherwise?

Anyone know who her Graves husband was? 


2 comments:

  1. Richard Graves land boarders this property on the survey. Possibly connected to Richard Graves who in my research was possibly married to Louisa Caroline ??? Graves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "my seven daughters to wit: Nancy Graves, Rebecca Melton, Rachel Adams, Elizabeth Autry, Naomi Hubbard, Susannah May and Myram Graves my negro boy by the name of Jacob I give to my son Thomas J. Lewis my negro man by the name of Esex and my negro woman by the..."
      I'm of the opinion that the Nancy Graves mentioned in this Anson County WILL is the wife of Richard and her sister Myram Graves married his brother Lewis Graves.

      Delete