Tuesday, November 1, 2022

The Last Will and Testament of Rebecca Keziah ‘Kezia’ Godfrey Davis Roberts

 We know from yesterday’s posting that David Davis died in October 1798.

 “Whereas David Davis late of this State and District died on the Sixteenth day of October in the year of Our Lord One thousand Seven hundred & Ninety Eight intestate leaving the said Keziah Davis his Widow and Seven children To Wit: Francis, Benjamin, David, William, Elizabeth, Rachel and Henry,…”

After the death of David in October 1798, she next married Robert Roberts, a local Planter about February 1805. We know this based on the Land Deed posted yesterday (DB C:112-117). 

It is not known exactly when Rebecca Keziah (Godfrey) (Davis) Roberts died but we do know it was after the death of her 2nd husband, Robert Robert. We know this because he (Robert Roberts) is not mentioned in her Last Will and Testament written on 21 July 1823.

Her last Will was presented for Probate in Open Court on 9 September 1827.

The State of South Carolina} By Edw. B. Wheeler 
                      Marion District}  Judge of the Court of ordinary John C. Bevis personally appeared before me and made oath that he was present & saw the within named Testator Sign Seal publish pronounce and declare the instrument of writing to be and contain her last Will and Testament and that she was then of sound and disposing mind and memory to the best of this deponents knowledge and belief and that Thos. G. Britton and W. H. Greaves were subscribing witnefs to the same with himself in the presence of each other and in the presence of the testator.
Sworn to before me 9th Sept. 1827               John C. Davis
Edward B. Wheeler Ord'y
                Recorded June 12, 1829

These dates  proves that Keziah (Godfrey) Roberts died after 21 July 1823 and before 9 September 1827.     

WILL OF KEZIA ROBERTS

In the name of God Amen. I Kezia Roberts of the State of South Carolina Marion District being of sound mind memory and understanding do make declare and ordain this to be my last Will and testament revoking all others at any time by me heretofore made Imprimis. I will that all my funeral Expenses with all my just debts be paid as quick as pofsible.

Item. To my beloved son Henry Davis I give and bequeath the  following negroes named Nero, Bine, Seburn, Harry, Susanah and Christiana with all their future increase together with my Lands, Stock of every Kind and all my household furniture to him and his Heirs forever but should my Son Henry Davis die leaving no Lawful Ifsue then in that Case it is my Will that the first four mentioned negroes, named Nero Bine, Seburn and Harry with all their Increase, to return and be divided among my surviving children with my two Grand Children. Frances Janett and David Williams Davis Share and Share alike Last I do nominate and appoint my son Henry and my friend John C. Davis my Executors to this my last Will and testament. Witnefs my hand and Seal this 21 of July in the year of our Lord 1823 in the forty eight year of American Independence.
 
Signed Seal'd and acknowledged)                                    Kezia Roberts {Seal}
in the presence of)
Thos G Britton    )
Wm H Greaves    )
John C. Davis    )

The State of South Carolina} By Edw. B. Wheeler 
                       Marion District}  Judge of the Court of ordinary John C. Bevis personally appeared before me and made oath that he was present & saw the within named Testator Sign Seal publish pronounce and declare the instrument of writing to be and contain her last Will and Testament and that she was then of sound  and disposing mind and memory to the best of this deponents knowledge and belief and that Thos. G. Britton and W. H. Greaves were subscribing witnefs to the same with himself in the presence of each other and in the presence of the testator.
Sworn to before me 9th Sept. 1827               John C. Davis
Edward B. Wheeler Ord'y
                 Recorded June 12, 1829  


Keziah Roberts was the 1st Wife of David Davis, my 1st Cousin 5X Removed.


 

________________________________
1. Marion District, South Carolina,#1, page 200 LAST WILL OF KEZIA ROBERTS; , Marion, Marion County, South Carolina. Recorded in Will Book 1, Page 200; Image 126.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9PT-29ZX-9?i=125&cat=391278

2. Land Deed - Pre-Marital Agreement Between Roger Roberts and Keziah Davis, 1798; 16 October 1798; Deed Book #Deed Book "C"; Page(s) pages 112-117; Register of Deeds; Marion, Marion County, SC; 11 September 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment