Friday, June 23, 2023

The Last Will & Testament of Abraham Dry

The Last Will & Testament of Abraham Dry can be found at:

https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/2420522:906 --- Image 222 of 247

Abraham Dry was born 19 October 1804, a son of Phillip Wiley Dry and Catherine Köppel. He was their 5th born child and 3rd born son. They had another daughter and son that arrived after the birth of Abraham.

Abraham Dry married Mary Catherine “Polly” Harkey on 9 February 1830. To this union were born 7 children; 6 daughters and a son.

Mary Catherine “Polly” (Harkey0 Dry died 17 April 1845 in Cabarrus County, North Carolina. Abraham Dry passed away on 3 April 1865 in Mt. Pleasant, Cabarrus County, North Carolina.   

Abraham Dry left his estate to his 6 daughters to be held-in-common. To his son, Jacob Mathias he left ten dollars. It would be most interesting to know why he left his only son a mere ten dollars.

Transcription:

The Last Will and Testament of Abraham Dry
I Abraham Dry of the County of Cabarrus and State of North Carolina being of sound mind and memory but considering the uncertainty of any earthly existence do make and declare this my last will and testament in manner and form following that is to say – First – That my executor (herein after named) shall provide for my body a decent burial and pay all funeral expenses together with all my Just debts, out of the money that may first come into his hands as a part or parcel of my estate.    
          Item I give and bequeath to my daughters Mary Ann Catherine, Margaret Perlina, Rebecca Maria, Elizabeth Matilda, Nelly Adeline and Polly Melissa the following property to be owned and held by them in common or to be equally divided between them at their option. Viz: All my household and kitchen furniture of every description including Cards, Wheels and Loom, all the Bacon, lard, salt, wheat, corn, Hay, Oars, Rye, the growing crops and all the provisions I may have at the time of my death also two Horses, wagon, and gear, Cuting Box, Wind Mill, and all my farming tools of every kind and description and I give and devise to the above named daughters all my live stock Horses cattle Hogs and Sheep. –Item I give and devise to my son Jacob Mathias ten dollars to be paid by my Executor out of my Estate.
          Item I give and devise my real estate to all my children to be equally divided between them to have and to hold the said land in fee simple once the debts, owing me collected and if there should be any surplus over and above the payment of my debts expenses and legacies that such surplus be equally divided between all my children—And  lastly I do hereby constitute and appoint John L. Henderson my lawful Executor to all intents and purposes to execute this my last will and testament. In witnefs whereof I the said Abraham Dry do hereunto set my hand and seal this 3rd day of March 1865.
Witnefs:  Mathers Cook                                             Abraham Dry {Seal}
John L. Henderson
Cabarrus County Court July Term 1865                    pg 123
 
State of North Carolina} Court of Pleas and quarter Sefsions July Term 1865
Cabarrus County} I Jo. Wallace Clerk of said court do hereby certify that the foregoing last will and testament of Abraham Dry and was exhibited for probate on open court and the execution thereof is duly proven by the oath of Mathias Cook and John L. Henderson the two subscribing witnefses thereto who say they signed  the same in the presence and at the request of the Testator and that he was of sound and disposing mind and memory. It is therefore considered by the Court that said paper writing is the last will and testament of Abraham Dry Des’d and ordered to be recorded and filed.
          Whereupon John L. Henderson the Executor named in said Will comes into Court qualified according to law and obtain letters testamentary.

                                                                                                       J. O. Wallace, Clerk


Abraham Dry is my 1st Cousin 5X Removed.


_______________________

1. Cabarrus County, North Carolina, Will Book#2, pages 122-123 The Last Will and Testament of Abraham Dry; Ancestry.com, Salt Lake City, Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment