Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Some 2024 Genealogical Challenges!

 In 1976, I was active duty Air Force stationed at Holloman AFB, New Mexico with orders to report to Hill AFB, Ogden, Utah in October 1976. 

On 17 August 1976, Alex Haley, published “Roots: The Saga of an American Family” for which he was awarded a special Pulitzer Prize. By October and my arrival at Hill I had read “Roots” and was ready to start my family research which I did in October 1976. Since 1976 I have spent hours in the LDS Library at Salt Lake City. I created my first Genealogical Website in 1995. 

Prior to moving from Ogden in 2000 to North Carolina I had published 3 Genealogical Books and maintained a Genealogical website.  

On 1 January 2012, I started my “Carolina Family Roots Blog” which had remained active since 1January 2012.

I never plan my blogs post until maybe a new days before their posting, This year will be no exception; but, I would like to focus on some key “Stumbling Blocks” often called “BrickWalls” in my research. So, lets get started:

1. Number one is Laura Driggers said to be my Great Grandmother. She was married after 1880 and died before 1899 after giving birth to 8 children. DNA shows connection to Driggers and Polson surnames. She is said to be the wife of Joseph Henry or Henry Joseph John/Johns. In the 1880 Census snippet below I think line 20 is Laura but have not been able to tie her to one of Jeremiah Polson daughters. Who is Laura Driggers and who are her parents? 

2. Sarah “Sallie” Hill, my 2nd Great Grandmother —Sarah Hill is said to be the wife of Samuel Deese, my 2nd Great Grandfather. Samuel Deese was married to a young lady named Sarah, b. abt 1811 and died 6 September 1881. The only source for the surname “HILL” is the death certificate for 4 of her 9 children. Who are the parents of Sarah “Sallie” Hill?

3. Sarah Alice Honeycutt, my 3rd Great Grandmother—personally, I think Sarah Alice Honeycutt is a made up name. I have absolutely no idea where it originated other than online trees. I don’t have a single document that names the wife of Stephen Deese. I know she died before 1840 and that he died 24 July 1847. Their 5 children all died before death certificates and no obituary has been found for any of the 5 children. Who is Sarah Alice Honeycut and who are her parents?

4. Willie Morriss and Charity Short, my 3rd Great Grandparents. Willie and Charity was married September 1833 near Sneedsborough, North Carolina. Charity Short is said to be the daughter of Daniel Short, Jr. and Margaret Hinson. I haven’t found any source that show Daniel and Margaret had a daughter named Charity. Thus, I am still searching for the parents of Charity Short, b. abt 1808; died after 1866. Do you know her patents? 

5. Marcus I. Huneycutt, my 3rd Great Grandfather. Marcus was born abt 1797 and died bef 1870. He married Charity Dry on 18 March 1822.  Who are the parents of Marcus I. Huneycutt? 

6. Nancy Gandy, b. 1815, died bef 1870, my Said to be 3rd Great Grandmother. Online trees say that Nancy is the daughter of Booka Gandy, Sr. and Deliah Edmunds. This is pure speculation with no basis in facts. The Family Bible for Booka never mentions having a daughter named Nancy. Who are the parents of Nancy Gandy, wife of Jeremiah Polson?

7. Daniel Dry, b. abt 1824, d. aft 1880 in Alabama married Martha Ann Moulder abt 1842. Who are the parents of Daniel Dry? 


No comments:

Post a Comment