Welcome

TO CAROLINA FAMILY ROOTS. Thanks for reading and commenting about my blog postings. My goal is to accurately document the genealogy of my family and allied families living in Chesterfield County, SC and Anson County, NC. If you have a Chesterfield County surname you are interested in please send me an e-mail.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Military Monday–WW I Draft Card-Ervin Brock

Pin It ERVIN BROCK WW I DRAFT CARD

In April 1917, the United States declared war on Germany. Six week later the Selective Service Act was passed by Congress.[1]
 
All able bodied men between the ages of 18-45 were required to register for the draft.[2]

Ervin [Samuel] Brock, at age 38, registered for the draft on September 12, 1918.
Ervin Brock is my second Cousin twice removed. Since his wife, Martha Purvis is my Grand Aunt; that also makes him my Grand Uncle.

There are 3 Irvin/Ervin Samuel Brock’s in Chesterfield County at the same time. This Ervin Samuel is a Jr. and is the son of Ervin Samuel Brock and Harriett “Hennie” Boatwright. The other spells Irvin with an “I” is and is a son of Stephen Brock and Nancy Smith.

My grand Uncle and Aunt, Irvin Samuel and Martha Purvis Brock had 9 children. Irvin died in 1954 and Martha died in 1966. Ervin death certificate[3] shows that he was buried at Zoar United Methodist Church Cemetery on 18 May 1954. There is no tombstone.
 
 
 

[1] Paraphrased from info on www.ancestry.com
[2] "World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918," on-line digital images, ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : viewed 27 August 2012), Ervin Brock; citing World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918, FHL Roll Number: 1852503; Birth Date: 6 Mar 1880.
[3] Ervin Brock, death certificate (long form) 005352 (17 May 1954), SC State Board of Health, Department of Health & Human Services, Columbia, Richland County, South Carolina.










No comments:

Post a Comment

//