Friday, November 9, 2012

Rebecca’s Letters–A Saga of a Confederate Family



Back in the late 1990’s my friend Lafayette Claude Eaton, Jr. published a book entitled “Rebecca's Letters, A Saga of a Confederate Family”. Claude and I became friend through correspondence researching my Wife family line – the Pridgen’s of Warren County, North Carolina. This friendship lasted until his death in April 2005.

The letters contained within the book were Civil War era letters written by Candis Arrington, Elizabeth Blount, Burrell Pitchford Davis, George Washington Davis, Isham H. Davis, Matthew S. Davis, Pettie Bet Davis, Rebecca Pitchford Davis, Elizabeth Davis Pitchford, Matilda Hinton Cheek Pitchford, Samuel Waite Pitchford and Benjamin Franklin Powell.[1]

The Book was 340 pages and 18 pages of index. A check on-line shows that the letters or copies of the letters are also on file at the University of North Carolina - The Southern Historical Collection at the Louis Round Wilson Collection Library as:
Collection Number: 03328-z
Collection Title: Rebecca Pitchford Davis Letters, 1855-1899.

Their extract reads:
“Rebecca Pitchford Davis (1812-1900) of Fishing Creek, Warren County, N.C., was married to Edward Davis (fl. 1861-1865) and had sons who served in the Confederate Army. The collection includes a mimeograph of typed transcriptions made of letters from Rebecca Pitchford Davis to her sons in the Confederate Army, 1861-1865, concerning family and neighborhood news and farm activities of her husband, Edward Davis; six letters, 1863, from these sons in Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania; eight personal and family letters before and after the war; and other items. An index and notes are included.”[2]

Burrell Pitchford Davis (1833-1901) is my deceased wife (1939-1998) second great grandfather. 

I highly recommend this book if you are interested in any of the family names mentioned above or if you are interested in the participation of  North Carolinian in the Civil War. 


[1] Lafayette Claude Eaton Jr., Rebecca's Letters: A Saga of a Confederate Family, first (Vallejo, CA 94591-42: Self-published, 1998), preface.
[2] http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/inv/d/Davis,Rebecca_Pitchford.html; Rebecca’s Letters, in the Rebecca Pitchford Davis Letters, #3328-z, Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

8 comments:

  1. Great info, as always.
    Is there any way to still order the actual book ?
    Hitting a brick wall so far....

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,

      I am not aware of any source to buy the book. I have a copy; it's 340 pages and 18 pages of Indexes. If you will send me an e-mail and name I will see if it's listed.

      CPurvis1 at my gmail account.

      Charlie

      Delete
  2. As always, great info Charlie !

    Wish we could still buy the actual book but cannot find it online so far.
    Guess I'll have to drive to the Chapel Hill library as you cannot read/print it online...that I know of.

    Thank You for all our amazing family history !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charlie,

    YAY, finally found the digital book online and printed it for myself.

    Now, surely I've asked you before BUT are we, the Chesterfield Davis family, ANY relation to these NC Davis' or other folks in Rebecca's Letters ?

    *I'd love your answer asap, I have a small wager on this. ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you send me where you found the digital book? I have hit a ton of deadends.
      My email is bill@storkstuff.com.
      Thank you so much!!!

      Delete
    2. Now, surely I've asked you before BUT are we, the Chesterfield Davis family, ANY relation to these NC Davis' or other folks in Rebecca's Letters ?

      No Connection that I am aware of.

      Delete
  4. Elizabeth,
    I have found no Connection between the two and I don't think there is one.

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is directed towards Elizabeth... I am a descendent of the Rebecca in the letters and have not been able to find a copy of the letters. I plan on trying to go to UNC, but if there is a way you could direct me to the online digital copy, I'd be very grateful. My email is bill@storkstuff.com
    Rebecca Pitchford Davis was the sister of Thomas Jefferson Pitchford from Warren NC and he is my great great great grandfather.

    ReplyDelete