Monday, November 18, 2013

Amanuensis Monday~Nancy Copeland's Will


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.



Today’s posting is the Will of Nancy Copeland, the wife of John Copeland. I’m not going to speculate on the surname of Nancy; but, I see a lot of misinformation on the internet concerning her surname and death date. I can only say with certainty that Probate proceedings were initiated on 23 April 1874 and the inventory of property was completed on May 22, 1875.

Nancy Copeland Will, Page 2Nancy Copeland Will, page 1 

NANCY COPELAND WILL
State of South Carolina}
Chesterfield County}
    This is the last will and Testament of Nancy Copeland of the State and
County aforesaid.
First: It is my will and desire that my Executor herein after named pay all my Just debts from the proceeds of my stock of cattle and hogs that I may have one hand at the time of my death.
Second: I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Mary Nicholson that part of my land where she now lives Beginning on the road that leads from Chesterfield Court house to Mt Croghan in Philip Rivers line and run with said road to the cross fence in my plantation then with the said fence to where the path crosses it going from Mary Nicholson to my house thence a straight line to Deep Creek thence with said Creek to Philip Rivers line thence with said line to the Beginning to her and her Bodily heirs forever. I also give and bequeath to said Daughter, Mary Nicolson my Cupboard and one half of my household and Kitchen furniture to her and her bodily heirs forever.
Third: I give and bequeath to my Daughter Elizabeth Thurman one half of my household and Kitchen furniture to her and her heirs forever.
Fourth: I give and bequeath to my son Jackson Copeland and my Grandson William Sellers all the Balance of my land in the state and county aforesaid Beginning at the cross fence where Mary Nicholson line run on the road leading from Chesterfield Court house to Mount Croghan thence Down the said road to Deep Creek thence up said creek to where Mary Nicholson's line runs to the creek thence along said line to the beginning to them and their heirs forever.
Fifth: It is my will that the land given to my son Jackson Copeland and my
Grandson William Sellers be Equally Divided between them.
Sixth: I give and bequeath to my son Jackson Copeland all of my stock of
hogs and cows to him and his heirs forever.
Seventh: I hereby nominate and appoint my son Jackson Copeland Executor to this my last will and Testament hereby revoking, all others.
   Witness my hand and seal this the 17th day of November AD Eighteen
hundred and seventy.
                                                       Nancy X her mark Copeland (Seal)
Signed Sealed acknowledged and published to be and contain the true Will
and Testament of the said Nancy Copeland signed in her presence and at her request and the presence of each other.
s/ Joel Baker, s/ Philip Rivers, s/ Sebra Welsh
{U S Stamp amounting to one dollar properly canceled}







__________________________
[1] "South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19386-34913-18?cc=1911928&wc=MMBR-QT2:n757525595 : accessed 11 Nov 2013), Chesterfield > Probate Court, Estate records > 1865-1927 > Cases 1408-1460(Case 1444)> image 520 of 831.

No comments:

Post a Comment