Monday, April 1, 2019

Amanuensis Monday~Last Will and Testament of George Dry


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.


Today’s subject is the Last Will and Testament of George Dry, 1856.1



 Transcription:

George Dry Will

In the name of God Amen.
I George Dry of the County of Stanly and State of North Carolina do this 26th day of December 1856 being of sound mind and memory thanks be to God for the same, but calling to mind the mortality of my body knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die. I make and ordain this my last will and testament (viz) First, I recommend my soul to God who gave it and my body to be buried in a Christian like manner.
2nd As to my worldly affairs I leave my tract of land to be sold to satisfy my just debts, also I give and bequeath unto my youngest son, Alexander Dry my young bay mare which he is to have free by age her colt excepted. I now give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Mary Dry all the rest of my property during her natural lifetime or widowhood except such property as she does not need that to be sold by her consent for the use of her and family with or as her years provision at her death I will unto my two daughters Elizabeth Dry and Evy C. Dry first to receive fifty dollars each then the balance if any to be sold and equally divided amongst my six children namely, Adam Dry, Daniel Dry, Christopher Dry, Alexander Dry, Elizabeth Dry & Evy C. Dry.
I also make and ordain my son, Adam Dry Executor to this my last will and testament in witnefs whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal to this my last will and testament the day and date

George Dry Will Continued
Above written Signed  Sealed in the presence of us who were present at the time of signing and sealing thereof.
Witnefs                                                         George Dodd {Seal}
J. H. Fooks
McG. Rufsell


North Carolina}
Stanly County} February Sefsions 1857
Then the foregoing last will and testament of George Dry was produced in open Court and offered for probate and the execution thereof was duly proved on the oath of oath of John H. Fooks and McG. Rufsell the subscribing witnefses therein and Adam Dry the Executor therein named was duly sworn as Executors wherefore Letters Testamentary ifsued to him and the said last will and testament was ordered to be recorded and filed.                 R. Harris Clk


George M. Dry (23 Apr 1799-6 Jan 1857) married Mary "Polly” Sides on 11 November 1822. To this union were borne 8 children; the first 5 were Sons and the last 3 were daughters. Two of theirs sons died in or during the Civil War and one died rather young (age 17). Only Adam lived into his golden years. Also, one daughter died at age 4 years 9 months and 5 days.    

George M. Dry is my 3rd Great Grand Uncle.






___________________________________


[1] https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:SQWF-XM34-9?i=82&wc=32L2-PTG%3A169988501%2C170045501&cc=1867501

No comments:

Post a Comment