Monday, December 9, 2019

Who are the Parents of Charity, wife of Wiley Morris of Chesterfield County, SC?

Who are the Parents of Charity, wife of Wiley Morris of Chesterfield County, SC?
During my lifetime I had heard many times from my Mother that her Great Grandfather Hezekiah and his brother Alsey Brock married sisters by the name of Sarah and Lucy Morris. During my genealogical search from 1976 to present I have attempted many times to identify the parents of Sarah and Lucy Morris. It has been a difficult journey fraught with many rabbit trails and failures. As of today the parents of Sarah and Lucy Morris remains a mystery. The advent of on-line copying in lieu of actual research has added to the mystery.


Today on Ancestry there are 62 on-line trees stating that the wife of Wiley Morris is a lady named Charity Short, b. about 1806 and most say that her parents are Daniel Short, Jr. and Margaret Hinson.

There is no doubt that the wife of Wiley Morris was a young lady named Charity, b. abt 1806 and the South Carolina Death Certificates if her known children shows her maiden name to be SHORT.

1850 CENSUS: Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina; Roll:  M432_851; Image: 208; Film #0444814, Page 102A, Line 21, Dwelling #46, Family 46; Alsey BROCK, age 34, Farmer, born in SC; Lucy BROCK, wife, age 25, born in SC; C. A. BROCK, Son, age 12, born in SC; P. A. BROCK, Son, age 10, born in SC. Also in the household is Martha MORRIS, age 30, born in SC.

1860 CENSUS: Cheraw, Chesterfield County, South Carolina; Roll: M653_1217;  Image: 369; Family History Library Film: 805217. Page 183A, Line 25, Dwelling #1238, Family #1239; Lucy BROCK, age 37, Seamstress; Charles BROCK, age 24, Clerk; P. A. BROCK, age 21, Clerk.  Staying with Lucy is Martha MORRIS, age 45; Julia HOWELL, age 20.


Wiley and his wife had the following known children:
i. Martha "Patsey" Morris born on 8 Dec 1815, SC; died on 7 May 1880, SC.
1850 CENSUS: Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina; Roll:  M432_851; Image: 208; Film #0444814, Page 102A, Line 21, Dwelling #46, Family 46; Alsey BROCK, age 34, Farmer, born in SC; Lucy BROCK, wife, age 25, born in SC; C. A. BROCK, Son, age 12, born in SC; P. A. BROCK, Son, age 10, born in SC. Also in the household is Martha MORRIS, age 30, born in SC.

1860 CENSUS: Cheraw, Chesterfield County, South Carolina; Roll: M653_1217;  Image: 369; Family History Library Film: 805217. Page 183A, Line 25, Dwelling #1238, Family #1239; Lucy BROCK, age 37, Seamstress; Charles BROCK, age 24, Clerk; P. A. BROCK, age 21, Clerk.  Staying with Lucy is Martha MORRIS, age 45; Julia HOWELL, age 20.


ii. Lucy Morris, born 13 Jul 1822, SC; married Alsey Brock, abt 1835; died 4 Jan 1887, SC.(My Great Uncle)
1850-1860 (above), 1870 and 1880 Census

iii. Sarah "Sally" Morris, born 27 Jan 1829, SC; married Hezekiah Brock, abt 1849–1850, died 21 Oct 1902, SC
.
I do not have a document saying that Sarah "Sallie' is a Morris other than family history that Alsey and Hezekiah married Sisters. 

iv. Elizabeth Morris, born abt 1833; married John William McDuffie; died unknown.
NO Info

v. Mary Frances Morris was born on 25 Jan 1835 in SC; died on 22 Feb 1916, SC.
SC Death certificate shows Father unknown; Mother Charity SHORT

vi. Ann Morris was born about 1837.
No Info

vii. William Morris was born about 1841.
No Info

viii. Joseph Morris, born 7 Aug 1842, NC; married Jane Burr, abt 1868; married Mary Elizabeth Burr, abt 1872; died 27 Aug 1919, NC..
SC Death Certificate Father Wiley Morris; Mother Charity Short
Parents say in 1850/1860 he was born in SC; he said in 1880/1900 he was born in NC. 

ix. James Morris, born 10 Jun 1853; married Susan Pressley; died 15 Nov 1918.
SC Death certificate had Father: Wiley Morris; Mother: Short

There is significant indirect evidence that Charity Morris surname was indeed SHORT.


The parents of CHARITY SHORT MORRIS are alleged to be Margaret Hinson and Daniel Short Jr.
Daniel Short, Sr left a Will but when Daniel Short, Jr. passed away in Moore County, North Carolina he died intestate.

However, his wife Margaret Hinson Short who passed away in 1872 did leave a Will
There is a Moore County, NC WILL for Margaret Short alleged wife of Daniel Short Jr. . The Will was probated in 1872 (Moore County WB  D-45)

It can be found here:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9GHG-97VM?i=51&wc=32GS-82Q%3A169763701%2C169888801&cc=1867501

THE WILL DOES NOT SHOW A DAUGHTER NAMED – CHARITY


LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF MARGARET SHORT


I, Margaret Short of the County of Moore and State North Carolina, being of sound and disposing mind and memory do make publish and declare this to be my last will and testament in manner following to wit.
Item 1st; I desire my Executor herein after named to conduct my funeral according to the wishes and directions of my children and friends and to pay my funeral expenses and just debts due to any one from me out of my estate.
Item 2; I will devise & bequeath to my daughter Frances Vick wife of John Vick and at her death to the living of her body, to her and their sole and separate use and not to be subject to the duty control or control of her said husband John Vick a track of land in said County.; One hundred and sixty three acres more or less the tract of land on which said Vick and family now lives being the same allotted to said Vick & wife in the division of the real estate of the late Daniel Short since and now owned by me but the above devise of said tract of land to my daughter Francis and her living is made subject to the payment of her husband John Vick or by his living or someone for them of a debt of one hundred dollars with all interest due thereon which said Vick now owes to me and if said debt be not paid to me my Executor is directed to collect the same, and if it cannot be paid without a sale of said tract of land or a part thereof, hereby devised to my said daughter her living then I direct my Executor to sale so much of said land as maybe necessary for the payment of said debt and interest.
Item 3; the balance of my estate and property real and personal or mixed or whatever it may consist I give devise and bequeath to my children Sarah Short, Eliza Short, Ellen Short, Caroline Short and Saml P. Short and the heirs share and share alike.
Item 4th; I desire and hope all my other children will be satisfied with this my will as I think in view of all the circumstances, I have acted rightfully and I hereby appoint and constitute Pleasant Short & B. H. Short my Executors to execute this my will and testament and carry out its several provisions.
Signed sealed and declared in presence of Us this 12 Febry 1862.                                                                                                                                              Margaret (her mark) Short
A.H. McNeill
A.M. Branson
Whereas I Margaret Short have made my last will and testament bearing date 12th Febry 1862, I do by this my writing which I hereby declare to be a codicil to my said will to be taken and construed as a part of the same Item I will direct that the interest in Item 3rd to Saml P. Short as he is dead is to be equally divided between my four daughters, Sarah Fields, Eliza Short, Ellen Fields and Carolina Short Share and Share alike. And I hereby revoke the appointment of B.H. Short and Pleasant Short as my Executors and do hereby appoint A.H. McNeill, my Executor to execute this my last will and testament and carry out its several provisions.
Signed sealed published by the said Margaret Short}
To be her last will and testament}                           Margaret (her mark) Short
In presence of
J. H. Caddill
Angus Currie

I Margaret Short do hereby release John Vick from any and all claims which I have against him.; I did have a claim of one hundred dollars.; I have been satisfied of the same, and hereby release the same as aforesaid this 10th Febry 1870.                          Margaret (her mark) Short
Witness J. H. Caddill

North Carolina}
Moore County}
We the undersigned being heirs at law of Margaret Short having heard a paper writing read purporting to be the last will and testament of the said Margaret Short and the said paper writing appoints one A. H. McNeill Executor we hereby request the proper authority to allow the said McNeill to qualify without trouble to him
This 25th Nov. 1873
John Hancock
Brinkly Short
Benjamin H. Cole
Devotion Short
John Vick

State of North Carolina}
Moore County}
A paper purporting to be the last will and testament of Margaret Short deceased with the codicil to will is exhibited before me the undersigned Judge of Probate for said County by A. H. McNeill the Executor therein named and the due Execution thereof by the said Margaret Short by the oath and examination of the Subscribing witnefses to the said codicil who being duly sworn do dispose and say and each for himself deposeth and saith and saith <sic> that he is a Subscribing witnefs to the paper writing now Shown purporting to be the codicil to the last will & testament of Margaret Short that the Said Margaret Short in the presence of these deponents Subscribed her name at the end of Said paper writing which is now Shown as aforesaid, and bearing date of 12th day of February 1862. And the deponents further Saith that the said Margaret Short the testatrix aforesaid did at the time of Subscribing her name as aforesaid declare the Said paper writing So subscribed as and exhibited to be the Codicil to the last will and testament and these deponents did thereupon [sign] their name at the end of said Will as attesting witnefs thereto., and at the request and in the presence of her name to the Said the said testatrix and these deponents further saith that at the said time when the said testatrix subscribed her name to the said last will and testament as aforesaid and at the time of the deponent subscribing their names as attesting witness thereto as aforesaid the Said Margaret Short was of Sound mind and memory of full age to execute a will and was not under any restraint to the knowledge information or belied of these deponents and further these deponents Say not.
Severally Sworn & Subscribed }                 J. H. Caddill {Seal}
this 21th day of November 1873}              Angus Currie {Seal}
A. H. McMeil Judge of }
Probate}

North Carolina}
Moore County} In Superior Court
In chambers 29th Nov 1873 A. H. McNeil the Executor named in Will and Codicil of Mrs. Margaret Short being the Clerk of this Court and Ex Aficio Judge of Probate the proceedings has upon the relating to the probate of Said Will & Codicil and submitted to me for approval and are hereby approved and confirmed.
M. M. Frey Esgn one of the Justices of the peace in and for said County of Moore is authorized and directed to qualify the Said A. H. McNeil as Executor by administering to him the oath required by law, in the form of an affidavit Signed by McNeil and certified and filed by the Justice.
                                                        Ralph B. Benton
                                                       Judge 5th District

Although Margaret Short made a comment in item #4 that she hope all my other children will be satisfied with this my will as I think in view of all the circumstances;” she did not name these other children.

Personally, I do not believe that Daniel Short, Jr. and his wife Margaret Hinson are the parents of Charity [LNU] Morris.

An important clue to the parentage of Wiley and Charity is that all their children were born in South Carolina. The Daniel Short – Margaret Hinson family was a North Carolina family that lived in Anson and Moore Counties. There is no proof they ever lived in South Carolina.

If you have any information on this family I would like to hear from you.

You can write to me here or post your comments.

Indirect evidence points to Wiley and Charity as my 3rd great grandparents. I would like to prove or disprove this connection. 








































































2 comments:

  1. Wiley and Charity were my 3rd Great Grand Parents. There is not much known info about them. They were married in the summer of 1833 near McFarlan N.C. I have done extensive DNA testing. All evidence points to George Washington Wilson and Elizabeth Morris as the most likely parents of Wiley. I don't think Wiley was his real name. I believe it to actually be William George Morris. Charity's parents most likely were Daniel Short jr. and Margaret Hinson although no documents exsist that state such. Wiley's first three children's mother was not Charity Short. It is thought that she was a Davis. The Wiley Morris home was in Chesterfield County S.C. between Fred Davis Rd. and the dirt road north of it. Mere feet from the North Carolina state line and Anson County. My 2nd Great Grand Father Joseph Morris lived at the corner of Hwy.145 and Johnson-Melton Rd. in Anson County N.C. about three miles from Wiley's home. More info can be found online about the Morris family. Anthony Morris and Mary Jones Morris came from Europe to Burlington,New Jersey in the summer of 1682. They lived there 4 years then moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where they became a prominent Philadelphia family. Anthony Morris became Mayor of Philadelphia. His son also named Anthony Morris husband of Phebe Guest Morris was also Mayor of Philadelphia, a famous brewer and a business owner of a iron works foundry and more.
    I hope this can help anyone looking to do further research on the family.
    Drew Morris

    wileymorrisfamily@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drew, Thoroughly enjoyed your comments and information supplied. Thanks

    ReplyDelete