Monday, December 30, 2019

The Last Will and Testament of Caroline Cook

Caroline Cook, 2nd wife of Daniel Cook Jr., was born 15 April 1810 a daughter of the Reverend Malcolm McMillan and his wife Nancy [LNU]. Before marrying Daniel Cook on 19 September 1843 she was the Widow of the Reverend Murdock Murphy.

Daniel and Caroline had 5 children; three of them surviving to adulthood.  A son died as an infant and a daughter almost reached her 4th birthday.

Daniel Cook Jr. died on 16 January 1878. His widow, Caroline, lived another 18 years 5 months 3 days passing away on 19 June 1896. She wrote her Will on 16 December 1889.



WILL of Caroline Cook
I, Caroline Cook of the County of Wilcox, and State of Alabama, being of sound mind and memory and understanding, do make my last will and testament in manner and form following:
First, I give devise and bequeath to my daughter Caroline Cook all my household furniture, buggy and harness, and one Cow or Cow and Calf as she may wish, she selecting the same, and in addition to this I give to her one thousand Dollars, she to get the thousand Dollars before any of my other heirs get anything. Should my estate not be that amount I want my daughter Carrie to get it all say should it only be eight hundred dollars, I want my daughter Carrie to get the whole estate, Second – After my daughter Caroline Cook gets the thousand Dollars should my estate come to that amount, I give my Son Sam C. Cook  $25.00, Third, after the above amount, are taken out I give devise and bequeath the remainder of my estate to Frank Cook and Daniel Cook my sons and to Caroline Murphy my Grand Daughter to be divided among them share and share alike, and lastly, I nominate and appoint as Executor of this my last will and testament my son Daniel Cook. In Witness whereof I Caroline Cook, to this my last will and testament have hereunto set my hand and seal this 16th day of December 1889.  
                                                                         Caroline X her mark Cooke

Signed, Sealed and declared by Caroline Cook as and for her last will and testament in the presence of us, who at her request and in her presence and in the presence of each other, have subscribed our names hereunto as Witnesses thereof.
                                                                           E. Gailland, MD
                                                                           J. Paul Jones

State of Alabama}In Probate Court of Said County
Wilcox County} In the matter of the Probate of the last Will and testament of Mrs. Caroline Cook deceased before me James T. Beck Judge of the Said Court personally appeared in open Court Dr. J. Paul Jones who being by me first duly sworn and examined does deposed and say on oath that he is a subscribing witness to the instrument of writing now shown to him, and which purports to be the last will and testament of Mrs. Caroline Cook deceased late and <sic> inhabitant of this County. That said Mrs. Caroline Cook since deceased, signed and executed said instruments on the day the same bears date and declared the same to be her last Will and Testament, and that affiant E. Gailland the other subscribing witness thereto set their signatures thereto on the day the same bears date as subscribing witnesses to the same in the presence of said testatrix and at her request that said testatrix was of sound mind and disposing memory and in the opinion of deponent fully capable of making her will at the time the same was so made as aforesaid, affiant further sate that said testatrix was on the day of the said date of said will of the full age of twenty one years and upwards.
                                                                         J. Paul Jones
Subscribed and sworn to before me this 18th day of August 1896.
                                                                          James T. Beck
`                                                                                     Judge of Probate
Admitted to probate on 18th August 1896.
                                       James T.Beck
                                                 Judge&c



Daniel Cook, the husband of Caroline McMillan Cook, is my 1st Cousin 5 times removed.  







  ____________________________
[1] Caroline COOK (1889), WILLS & TESTAMENTS: Last Will and Testament; Will Book 6; pages 358-359; Wilcox County Probate, Camden, Wilcox County, Alabama.

No comments:

Post a Comment