Monday, January 6, 2020

Amanuensis Monday~Last Will of Jesse J. Cook, 1856.

Amanuensis Monday is a Web Blog theme started by blogger John Newmark. You can access his blog here.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

A full explanation of the Amanuensis Monday blog theme can be found here.

Today’s subject is the Last Will of Jesse J. Cook 1







Last WILL of Jesse J. Cook

State of Alabama}
Wilcox County} Know all men by these presents that I Jefse J. Cook of the County & State aforesaid do make this my last will and testament.
I give & bequeath to my wife Eugenia Rufsell Cook all my property of whatsoever kind nature or description to have and to hold to her sole and separate use & benefit for and during the term of her natural life) I mean as long as she may live) and after that to any heirs I may have living with its natural increases to be equally divided among them.
I give to my said wife no power to dispose of any of my property in any way whatever not even her life Estate in the same except by and through my Executors and their Sucefsors, herein after named and in the manner herein after specified & provided.
I give to my Executors full power to sell or exchange property to pay any Debts and to do any and all things for that purpose that I could do as fully and completely as I could were I living and acting for myself Giving no bonds taking no affidavits as such Exrs. Nor do I wish them to be compelled to settle with any Courts of any Kind.
If they prefer to settle with my said Wife I wish to Keep my Estate out of Court and any Wife from being bothered with them and any Exrs. To have as little trouble as pofsible in attending to the matters of my Estate. I am willing to trust to their honor. After the payment of any debts I wish my wife to take pofsefsion of my property and should she she wish to sell change or dispose of any of it. I wish it done by my Executors. But in all case the same amount of property of some kind must be purchased by my Executors for my Estate as the amount they may sell at her request and such property must belong to & Kept be apart of my Estate under the same restrictions & be as the original property.
I wish my wife to have full power at any time she may think proper after my children arrive at the age of twenty one years or marry to give them such portions of the estate property of such Estate and under such directions as she may wish. In this matter exercising her own will & discretion. But doing equal justice to each at the proper time.-------
I hereby nominate constitute & appoint David W. Sterrett James E. Cook and John Eades Gullett Executors of this my last will and testaments. And should either of them die or refuses to act then those that may be living by and with advice & consent of my said wife shall fill the vacancy or vacancies so occurring.
In Witnefs whereof I this day and in the presence of these Witnefses which I have call on to witnefs the same do hereunto set my hand & seal this the 19th day of January 1856.
Attest                                                                                   J. J. Cooke
H. R. Gordon}
H. Kenneworth}
H. H. Love}

State of Alabama} Probate Court of said County
Wilcox County} Oct 25th 1858.
Before me Zo S. Cook Judge of the said Probate Court personally appeared in open Court H. R. Gordon and H. H. Love who having been by me first respectively duly sworn did & do depose & say [illegible] that they are each subscribing witnesses to the foregoing instrument of writing now shown to them and which purports to be the last will & testament of J. J. Cook dec’d. lately an inhabitant of this County that said J. J. Cook said deceased signed & executed said instrument on the day the same bears date and declared the same to be his last will & treatment and that affiants set their signatures thereto on the day the same bears date as subscribing witnefses to the same in the presence of said testator that said was of sound mind & disposing memory and in the opinion of deponents fully capable of making his will at the time the same was so made as aforesaid. Affiants further state that said testator was of on the day of the said date of said will of the full age of twenty one years & upwards.
Subscribed & sworn to before me} H. H. Love
this 25 Oct 1858 to all the above} H. R. Gordon
except the date of signing the]
not [illegible] by Witnefs}
H. R. Gordon                                                                             Zo S Cook
Judge



Jesse and Eugenia had two Children – David Jesse and William. Based on Census information it looks as if Jesse and Eugenia both have passed away by 1860. In 1860, the two children – David and William - are living in the household of a Reverend John WILMER and his wife Rosella. 

1860 CENSUS: Eastern Division, Wilcox, Alabama; Roll: M653_26;  Family History Library Film: 803026, Page: 1049(stamped); Line 9, Dwelling 235, Family 262; John WILMER, Minister, Male, age 40, born in PA; Rosella WILMER, Female, age 30, born in AL; David COOK, Male, age 12, born in AL and Wm. COOK, Male, age 9, born in AL.

Why Jesse died at such a young age (39) has been lost over time but he is remembered as his young bride wrote in 1858. 2

Inscription
Aged 39 years, 9 months, and 9 days
"Honor, truth, and a sincere desire to do unto others as he would that they should do unto him were among his many virtues. To know him was to love him; to make him was to praise.
He sleeps in Jesus. Angels bright
Have borne him hence to worlds of light,
Have borne him shouting to the skies,
Where bliss immortal never dies"
Erected to his memory by his bereaved wife and loving children." 



Jesse J. Cook is my 2nd Cousin 5 times removed.



_______________________
[1] Wilcox County, Alabama, Will Book:4, pages 1 & 2 Jesse J. COOK; www.Ancestry.com, Camden, Alabama.
Alabama, Wills and Probate Records, 1753-1999
Wilcox Loose Estate Case Files, Cook Jesse J - Crum Jacob H, 1830-1915
Wilcox County, Alabama
Image 7 of 1913
Will Book 4, Page 1 & 2
https://ancstry.me/36qF2l3
[2] Find A Grave, Inc., Find A Grave, database and digital images, (http://www.findagrave.com : accessed 2 November 2017); Memorial page for Jesse J Cook; (25 December 1818–4 October 1858); Find a Grave memorial #26338023, Citing Allenton Cemetery; Allenton, Wilcox County, Alabama, USA.
[3] 1860 U. S. Census, Wilcox County, Alabama, population schedule, Eastern Division, Wilcox, Alabama, Page: 1049(stamped); Line 9, Dwelling 235, Family 262, Household of John WILMER; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://ancestry.com : viewed 2 January 2020); citing National Archives Microfilm M653_26.







































No comments:

Post a Comment