Monday, June 18, 2018

Amanuensis Monday~Chesterfield County Land Deed, Deed Book 10, Queen M. Sellers to Alexander Sellers.



Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.
His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.
Today’s subject is a Chesterfield County Land Deed, Deed Book 10, Queen M. Sellers to Alexander Sellers.
DEED BOOK 10, Page 285-page-001DEED BOOK 10, Page 286-page-001

Queen M. Sellers}
To}                   Deed                                  
Alexander Sellers}
The State of South Carolina}
                         Know all Men by these Presents That I Queen M. Sellers  of the County of Chesterfield in the State aforesaid,for and in consideration of the sum of two hundred Dollars to me in hand paid at and before the sealing of these presents, by Alexander Sellers or Secured to be Paid  by the said Alexander of the same County in the State aforesaid, (the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged,) have granted, bargained, sold and released, and by these Presents do grant, bargain, sell and release unto the said Alexander Sellers all my undivided right, title and interest in and to all those certain tracts of land belonging to the Estate of the late Wm. M. Burkley deceased, the said lands being devised to me and my brothers and sisters Mary E. Cato[,] Louisa J. Perkins*1 by the last will and testament of the said Wm. M. Burkley deceased and is bounded and described as follows to wit: on the North by lands of James Gordon, on the East by lands of J. F. Pigg, on the South by lands of Miles Hurst and Joel H. Catoe and on the West by lands of Wm B. Odom and James Gordon. Together with all and singular the Rights, Members, Hereditaments and Appurtenances to the said Premises belonging or in any wise incident or Appertaining. To Have and to Hold all and singular the said Premises before mentioned unto the said Alexander Sellers His Heirs and Assigns forever. And I do hereby bind myself and my Heirs, Executors and Administrators to warrant and forever defend all and singular the said premises unto the said Alexander Sellers His Heirs and assigns Against myself and my Heirs and all persons whomsoever lawfully claiming or to claim the same, or any part thereof. Witness my Hand and Seal this 7th day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and eighty five and in the one hundred and ninth year of the Sovereignty and Independence of the United States of America.
Signed, Sealed, & Delivered}
In the presence of}                           Queen M. Sellers {Seal}
Wm. J. Gaddy}
E.A. Hartsell}
 
The State of South Carolina}
Chesterfield County}
                           Personally appeared before me W. J. Gaddy and made oath that he saw the within named Queen M. Sellers sign, seal, and as her act and deed deliver the within within<sic> Deed; and that with E. A. Hartsell witnessed the execution thereof.
Sworn to before me this 29th}
Day of Jany A.D. 1890}                                       Wm. J. Hanna
{Seal} W. J. Hanna
            Clerk
 
Recorded this 2nd day of January 1890 in Book C page 271
                                                 D. M. Barentine
                                                 Auditor Chesterfield County, S.C.
 
Recorded 2nd January 1890

Marie Gulledge Wiggins [MGW] spent many hours researching our Sellers relatives and talking to the older generation. For years genealogist and family historians have debated the lineage of William M. Burkley and his wife Mary. Many say she was Mary Sellers; others say that Mary was a “Rivers.”
It is said the Queen M. Sellers took care of William and Mary Berkely until their deaths and they gave her all of their property in return. {MGW} However, William Berkley WILL states: I will and bequeath all my property both real and personal that I may seized and possess of unto my niece Sarah Frances Hancock to be hers her heirs and assigns forever at my death-..
'
You can view William M. Burkley’s Will in this posting.

https://carolinafamilyroots.blogspot.com/2014/07/amanuensis-mondaythe-will-of-william-m.html

The Will, on file, does not name Queen M. or Alexander Sellers.

I will and bequeath all my property both real and personal that I may seized and possess of unto my niece Sarah Frances Hancock to be hers her heirs and assigns forever at my death- the real property or estate above mentioned consisting of three tracts of land in said County adjoining each other, the first being the home track of One hundred (100) acres as will show by deed from Charles William Guardian to me made bearing date the 13th day of December A.D. 1843 the second containing thirty-three (33) acres more or less, reference being had to be made to me by Eliza Sellers, the one dated 27th June 1868 and the other dated the 21st day of August 1869 will fully show the third containing two (2) acres more or less will show by deed from Isaac F. Sweeney to me dated the twenty-third day of the December 1861 the personal property above mentioned consisting of stock of all kinds, farming implements household and kitchen furniture and other property to tedious to mention the above to belong to my said niece at my death provided she remains unmarried and reside with me and my said wife as long as either of us shall live and if my said wife shall survive me she my said niece shall take care of her and support her during her life.

William M. Burkley died on 12 October 1879.

The petition of the undersigned respectfully shows----
1st That on or about the 12th day of October 1879[1] William M. Berkley late of the County and state aforesaid, departed this life after having made and executed last Will and Testament leaving a Small estate supposed to be of the value of three hundred and fifty dollars [$350.00].


Queen M . and Alexander Sellers are my 2nd Cousins 3 times removed.

Their parents were James David Sellers and Sarah Ann Gaskins. They had one other sister not mentioned in the land deed above – Eliza Ann  Sellers. Eliza Ann Sellers married Joel H. Douglass. 

  _________________________
[*1] Louisa J. Sellers married William Jesse Jenkins about 1881
[2] Chesterfield County, South Carolina, DEED BOOK 10: pages 285 & 286, Queen M. Sellers to Alexander Sellers; Register of Deeds, Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.







No comments:

Post a Comment