Friday, October 23, 2020

Last Will and Testament of John Laton, Sr.

John Laton, Sr., was born abt 1777 in Anson County, North Carolina; parents unknown. (Some say he was born in Virginia). He was twice married. After his first wife passed away leaving him with six children John then married Catherine Dry on 10 June 1824. To this union were borne an additional five children.

John Laton died in July 1852 leaving the below Last Will and Testament. His will was probated during the August Session 1852.

I have provided a link to this will in the footnotes at the bottom of this post; therefore, in the interest of saving loading time; only one of three pages are contained within this blog post.


John Laton Will


            In the name of God Amen. 

I John Laton Senr of the County of Stanly and State of North Carolina doth this the nineteenth day of July in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty four make & publish this my last Will & Testament revoking all other wills & codicils by me previously made being in low state of health but of sound mind & memory blessed be God.
First: calling to mind that man has once to die and considering my worldly affairs & wishing to dispose of time as hereinafter mentioned; first that my body be buried in a Christian like manner.
Secondly: That all my just debts be paid out of my estate by my Executors. 
Third: I lend unto my beloved wife Katharine the plantation on which I now live containing five hundred acres be the same more or lefs on the waters of Clover Fork Creek adjoining the lands [of] Breedy Carter & Thomas Rice & Timothy Ragsdale & Starling McDaniel & others during her life time or widowhood, and after her death to be divided among the following children; Nancy Bullen, Huldah Saunders, Sarah Bullen, William Laton, John Laton.
& Elizabeth Rice, Excepted which I give fifteen dollars to be paid out of my Estate by my Executor.
Also I give fifteen dollars to my son David Laton to be paid out of my Estate by my Executor which moneys shall be paid at the end of two years after my decease. Also I give the stock of all Kind to my wife Katharine on the before mentioned plantation, farming utensils & everything belonging to said plantation, also all the household & kitchen furniture of all description.
Huldah Saunders, Nancy Bullen, Sarah Bullen & William Laton & John Laton they shall pay over to Elizabeth Rice & to David Laton the sum of fifteen dollars to the said David Laton & to Elizabeth Rice to make them equal.
Fourth: I give and bequeath unto my five children not before mentioned all my lands lying on the  waters of Jacobs Creek & Camp branch containing five hundred acres more or less to be equally divided amongst them to, viz. Martin, Franklin, Lydia, Katharine & James Adam.
Fifth: My will & desire is that the property of every description remaining on the plantation where I now live after my wife's death shall be sold at public sale and equally divided among all my children, Elizabeth Rice and David Laton excepted.
Sixth: I will & bequeath unto my beloved wife Katharine four hundred dollars that I have out at interest and after her death to be equally divided amongst her children, to viz: Martin, Franklin, Lydia, Katharine and James Adam, all the rest of my children excepted, viz. Elizabeth Rice, Nancy Bullen, William Laton, Huldah Saunders, John Laton, Sally Bullen, and David Laton.
Further I do appoint my beloved wife, Katherine and my worthy son Franklin Alexander Laton my Executors to this my last will & testament in witnefs whereof I John Laton Sen'r. the Testator have  to this my last will written on one sheet of paper set my hand and seal the day & year first above written.
Signed, sealed & delivered in}
presents <sic> of us.}                           John X his mark Laton {Seal}
Elisha Laton
John F. Miller

North Carolina}
Stanly County}  August Sefsions 1852
         Then the foregoing last will and testament of John Laton deceased was produced in open court and offered for probate, and the execution thereof duly proved by the oaths of Elisha Laton & John F. Miller the subscribing witnefses thereto, and Katherine Laton & Franklin Alexander Laton the Executors & Executrix therein named was duly qualified upon which Letters Testamentary issued to then and the said will & testament ordered to be recorded.
                                                                               R. Harris, Clk.

Katherine Dry, wife of John Laton, is my 3rd Great Grand Aunt making John Laton my 3rd Great Grand Uncle by marriage.




______________________________

[1]Link to Last Will and Testament >>>https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:SQWX-X25Z-9?i=47&wc=32L2-PTG%3A169988501%2C170045501&cc=1867501

No comments:

Post a Comment