Monday, May 22, 2023

The Last Will and Testament of Martha Jane (Sellers) Harris

Martha Jane Sellers was born July 1851, a daughter of John W. Sellers and Mary “Polly” Short of Anson County, North Carolina. Her father, John, was a farmer who was killed during the Civil War. She had two siblings both of which were sisters.

Many on-line trees shows that Martha Jane had a brother William R. Sellers but they are in error.  Martha Jane Sellers’  father is John W. Sellers (wife, Mary Short), born 1824; William R. Sellers’ father is John M. Sellers (wife, Mary Brooks), born 1826.

About 1867, Martha Jane Sellers married William Jasper Harris, a farmer, of Anson County, North Carolina. William Jasper Harris was the son of Benjamin and Rebecca Harris. In the 1900 Census the couple reported they had been married 33 years with 7 children of which 5 were living.

William Jasper Harris died at age 70, on 25 June 1920 in Lilesville, Anson County, North Carolina. Martha Jane (Sellers) Harris , age 75, died on 13 January 1927 leaving her Last Will and Testament dated 30 March 1926. Both are buried in the Harris Cemetery in Lilesvile, Anson county, North Carolina.
 




Will of Mrs. Martha Harris
 
State of North Carolina}
Anson County}
          I, Martha Harris, of the aforesaid County and State, being of sound mind, but considering the uncertainty of my earthly existence, do make and declare this my last will and testament.
          First: My executor hereafter named shall give my body a decent burial, suitable to the wishes of my friends and relatives, and pay all funeral expenses, together with all my just debts out of the first money which may come into his hands belonging to my estate.
          Second: I give and devise to my trusty friend Rosa Ussery, my house and all the land that I possess at my death, until her two children, Ruth Ussery and Demorrow Ussery, becomes twenty one years old, and then it shall be theirs and theirs only, to share and share alike, provided that the said Rosa Ussery shall provide my daughter Hattie Harris a comfortable home, wholesome rations, descent and warm clothing, provide a doctor when needed and pay her funeral expenses, and if the provision is not carried out the said land shall be my daughter Hattie Harris to have and to hold, her heirs in fee simple.
          Third: I give and bequeath unto my beloved grandson Eli Ussery, the large trunk cow and pistol.
          Fourth: I give and bequeath unto my beloved grand-daughter Emaline Jones my round table, two small trunks, and bureau, and my bed and all its belongs.
          Firth: I give and bequeath to my daughter Hattie Harris my stove, clock, safe and dining table.
          Six: I give and bequeath all the rest of my house hold and kitchen furniture  to my daughter Hattie Harris and my two grand-daughters Ora Jones and Emaline Jones to share and share alike.
          Seventh: I give and bequeath to my daughter Alice Harris Ussery the sum of one Dollars, to be paid by Rosa Ussery, at my death.
          Eight: I give and bequeath to my beloved daughter Floda [Flora] Harris Ratliff the sum of one Dollars to be paid by Rosa Ussery at my death.
          Ninth: The said Rosa Ussery shall pay all my funeral expenses, and just debts and the money named in Article 7 and 8, if I am not in possession of it at my death. If Rosa Ussery does not accept the terms of this Will then it is to be paid by Hattie Harris when she comes in possession of said land.
Tenth: Rosa Ussery shall pay all lawful expenses of writing, executing and defending this Will. If Rosa Ussery does not accept the terms of this will then it is to be paid by Hattie Harris when she comes in possession of said land.
Eleventh: I hereby constitute and appoint my trusty friend J. G. Williams my lawful executor to all intents and purposes, to execute this my last will and testament according to the true intent and meaning of the same and every part and clause thereof revoking and declaring void all other wills and testaments by me here to fore made.
          In witness whereof I the said Martha Harris do here unto set my hand and seal, this 30 March 1926.  
                                                               Martha X her mark Harris {Seal}        
Signed, sealed, published and declared by the said Martha Harris to be her last will and testament in the presence of us, who at her request and in her presence and in the presence of each other do subscribed our names as witnesses there to.                                                                  
                                                                                      W. P. Porter
                                                                                      W. C. Jones Witness
 


______________________________

1. Anson County, North Carolina, Will Book “F”, pages 248-249; Will of Mrs. Martha Harris; Probate Office, Salt Lake City, Utah.

2. Emma Goodwin, Type Talk of Lilesville Township: Anson County, North Carolina (Charlotte, North Carolina: Herb Eaton Historical Publication, 1990), page 454. Obituary of William Jasper Harris.

3. Find A Grave, Inc., Find A Grave, database and digital images, (http://www.findagrave.com : accessed 3 March 2015); Memorial page for William Jasper Harris; (May 1850–25 June 1920); Find a Grave memorial # 49660896, Citing Harris Cemetery; Lilesville, Anson County, North Carolina.

4. Find A Grave, Inc., Find A Grave, database and digital images, (http://www.findagrave.com : accessed 3 March 2015); Memorial page for Martha Jane Sellers Harris; (July 1851–13 January 1927); Find a Grave memorial # 36044612, Citing Harris Cemetery; Lilesville, Anson County, North Carolina, USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment