Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Genealogy Serendipity~Maiden Name of Charles A Brock's Wife Found

Genealogy Serendipity- After 45+ plus years I can finally insert a surname for Sarah Jane, wife of Charles A. Brock, my 1st Cousin 3X removed. 

In the Anson County, NC Census for 1860; Sarah, age 16 and Richmond, age 5, are listed in the household of  Zach and Mary Prophet. 

1860 CENSUS: Cedar Hill, Anson, North Carolina; Page:#241B & 242A (Stamped), Line:#36-40 & 1-4, Dwelling:#231, Family:#311; Zach PROPHET Male, head, age 38, Farmer, born in NC; Mary PROPHET Female, Wife, age 39,  born in NC; Sarah PROPHET Female, Daughter, age 16, born in NC; William PROPHET Male, Son, age 14, born in NC; John PROPHET Male, Son, age 12, born in NC; Charity PROPHET Female, Daughter, age 10, born in NC; Emma PROPHET Female, Daughter, age 10, born in NC; Richmond PROPHET Male, Son, age 5,  born in NC and Mary PROPHET Female, Daughter, age 2,  born in NC.

"Exhibit B” 



Transcription: 

State of South Carolina

County of Chesterfield 

Whereas, I, Sarah J. Brock, am now in bad health, and unable to take care of and properly attend to my affairs, and whereas my brother R. D. Prophet for the consideration hereinafter set out, has agreed to board me at some suitable place and provide me with such support as he thinks necessary and proper, for the period of Ninety months from the date hereof should I live so long, or in the event of my death to pay to my adopted daughter Kizzie M. Bullard such proportion of the sum hereinafter assigned, as may be still unused by him for my support, at the time of my death.

Now in consideration of the above I hereby assign, set over and transfer absolutely to the said R. D . Prophet all my right title and interest in and to the policy of insurance of my late husband C. A. Brock, in the order of Chosen Friends, being policy number 6611. My interest in same being shown by an agreement signed by my said (Image 322) husband attached to said policy now in the hands of P. H. Brock admin of I. S. Brock deceased, which agreement I hereby ratify, confirm and adopt as my my order.

Giving unto the said R. D. Prophet full power and authority to accept and receipt for the money under said policy, to sign same or any other papers for me and in my name, to release said policy in my name upon receipt of the money and generally to do any and all acts necessary and expedient to carry out and effectuate the purposes of this assignment. Retaining no interest in same to myself either in law or equity.  Witness my hand and seal this 4th day of November A. D. 1898.

In the Presnce of}              Sarah J. Brock (seal)

B. H . Thurman, M. D.} 


Charles A. Brock, my 1st Cousin 3X removed. 


_________________________

Robeson. Probate Estate Case Files 1801–1935, Irvin Brock, 1899

1. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99C6-BJ6W

2. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9C6-BJMS


10 comments:

  1. Elizabeth Davis StephensMarch 12, 2024 at 7:38 AM

    CONGRATULATIONS CHARLIE !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a theory. I believe Mary PROPHET Female, Daughter, age 2, born in NC that is listed above is the Mary K Proboff Brock buried in Old St. David’s Episcopal Church Cemetery (1st wife of Irvin Samuel Brock) and is the mother of Mary Kizzie Brock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a theory...I believe Mary PROPHET Female, Daughter, age 2, born in NC listed above in your post is Mary K. Proboff Brock buried in Old Saint David's Episcopal Church Cemetary (1st wife of Irvin Samuel Brock) mother of Mary Kizzie Brock Bullard. It would make sense then that Mary Kizzie Brock is listed as a niece in the 1880 census with Charles A Brock and his wife Sarah (listed above as Sarah Prophet). Also Sarah Brock lived with Mary Kizzie in her later years. It's Sarah Prophet Brock's sister's daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, your comments are awesome. I didn't know about the Prophett conncetion until yesterday and I have research for 20+ years in the LDS Library in Salt Lake City. Thanks for the comments. So it makes sense that Proboff which cannot be found in the census is PROPHETT.

      Delete
  4. I apologize for the double posts. The first one was on my phone and I wasn't sure it went through and the second one was from a computer (plus I wanted to add some more information).

    I really enjoy reading your blog and glean so much information from your research. Congratulations on finding a piece of the puzzle you have been missing all these years. It is so exciting when one little piece of information opens up the brick wall.

    Charles A. Brock is my 2nd cousin 4x removed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, Can I use your comments in a webpost giving you full credit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvelous news! Wonderful that you were able to give a name to your cousin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken a long time. All thanks goes to FamilySearch Full-text search.

      Delete