Saturday, March 3, 2012

FAMILY CEMETERIES


In the county where my ancestors lived are many family cemeteries. A lot of these cemeteries have become lost or completely abandon over the years. Some are known about but access to them is very restricted.
One such cemetery is that of my 4th great grandparents – Thomas Davis and his wife Nancy Rivers Davis.  While I have known about this cemetery and have visited it in the past; it was not easy to access.  One problem is a lovely little reptile called the rattlesnake.  The other is a vine with bards that will rip you and your clothes to pieces. The area where Thomas Davis and his wife are buried was recently clear-cut making the cemetery accessible. So I paid my 4th great grandparents another visit, this time taking my trusted GPS along for documenting the coordinates of the cemetery. The Cemetery is located at GPS coordinates N34 46 067', W 080 02 744'

There are 4 tombstones visible in the cemetery.


Davis Cemetery


They are:
Thomas Davis, b. 22 March 1760, d. 20 March 1845
Nancy Rivers Davis, b. 15 Dec 1767, d. 15 Dec 1853
John Rivers, Co. D, 6th SC CAV, CSA    
James K. Parker, Corp. Co. E, 21st SC INF. [1837- Apr. 14, 1862]
His military record shows that James K. Parker enlisted 21 Dec 1861 and died Apr. 14, 1862. The 1860 Census for Chesterfield County shows that James was 23 years of age and married to Nancy, age 16.

The John Rivers buried here is most likely John B. Rivers whose record is shown below.

The dates on the tombstones for my 4th great grandparents are wrong. Correct dates have been obtained from official documents and verified.
Thomas Davis, b. 22 March 1760, d. 20 March 1845
Thomas Davis Tombstone

NOTE: Thomas Davis middle name IS NOT "LLOYD". He has NO middle name.  Lloyd is the Capt. that he served under in the Revolutionary war. As stated above the dates (1748-1844) are wrong.

Nancy Rivers Davis, b. 15 Dec 1767, d. 15 Dec 1853

Nancy Rivers Davis Tombstone





The dates (1753-1846) on Nancy tombstone are also incorrect.


5 comments:

  1. Looking for Edward Burch Parker, my great grandfather and his connection to Zoar Methodist Church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edward Burch Parker is buried in Zoar Cemetery. There is no birth date on his tombstone. There is a death date Nov 7, 1878, age 32.

    This could be Edward son of George A. Parker and Hawley Lee.

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlie. I think this is him, too. We have been searching for years for his parents names, and this really helps. I have an album of pictures from the turn on the century with Edward B. Parker's pictures. There are also family pictures of the Parkers in Chesterfield. If I can figure out how to scan them, I don't mind adding them--Maybe someone will recognize who these individuals might be. Lee is a family name (my father's middle name) so this definitely ties in. He was married to Eliza Jane Smith, my great grandmother; another family member with missing parentage due to Sherman's burning of the courthouse. Thanks so much for identifying my great great grandparents. I have been searching for years!
      Thanks again,

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Lee,
    Glad I could help. I have researched these families for almost 40 years and it is tough with the lack of records.

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate it! I will let you know when I figure out how to scan these old pictures. I think it would be good to add them to this site if at all possible.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete