Monday, February 5, 2024

Last Will of James Clothier Thomas (1792-1867)

 Last Will of James Clothier Thomas


The State of South Carolina}

Marlborough District}

I, James C. Thomas of the District and State aforesaid do make and publish the following as my last will and testament (as follows) to wit.

First, It is my will and desire that my Executor hereinafter named shall pay all of my debts as soon after my death as he conveniently can. 

Secondly. I give, devise and bequeath to Abraham G. Johnson, whom I have raised and Educated as my own son, and his heirs the tract of land on which I now reside, containing about  three hundred and sixty five acres, and
the following named Negro slaves, to wit, Ishamel, Dolphin Sen., Dolphin, Jr., John, Peter, Joe, Cyrus, Nancy,  Arny, Crusoe, Juda, Albert, Charlitte, Zilphia, Polly, Caty, Jim, Peggy, Mariah, Whitby, Emmy, Liddy, Leonora, Tracy, Ann, Yancy, Lydia, Sarah, Lawrence, Ellen, Betsy, Wesley, Adaline, Julia and Eliza and any increase which they or either of them may have after the date of this my will and all my stock of horses, cattle, hogs and so forth, and all my plantation utensils, household and kitchen furniture and all the rest and residue of my Estate of whatever it may consist, including any portions of the same that may be acquired after the date of this my will. 

Thirdly, In the event that the said Abraham G. Johnson should depart this life before my death and should thereby be prevented from taking under this preceding clause of this my will I then give, devise and bequeath the whole of my Estate, both real and personal as it shall exist at the time of my  death to Martha T. Johnson and Hanibol P. Johnson, the children of the said Abraham G. Johnson and their heirs and if either of these should die without leaving children living at the time of the death of such one, then with remainder of such one’s share over to the survivor of such death should occur Either before or after such death if such [???>Illegible] should leave children living at this time of her or his death then over to such children instead of the survivor. 

Fourthly. I do hereby nominate and appoint the said Abraham G. Johnson, the sole Executor of this my last will and testament and I do hereby revoke all other wills heretofore made by me. 

In witness whereof, I have hereunto subscribed my name and affixed my seal, on this the Twenty seventh day of May, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty four. 

Signed, sealed, published & declared}

by the said James G. Thomas as}

his Last will and testament,}                        Jas. C. Thomas {Seal}

in the presence of us. Who in the}

presence of each other and in his}

presence, and at his request,}

have hereunto set our names }

as witnesses of the execution}

of the same.} 

B. D. Towsend

E. P. Ervin

Jas. L. Breeden’

J. B. Breeden


Obituary:

Died on Tuesday Morning last – 16 April 1867- Charleston Newspaper

Mary L. Davis wife of James Clothier Thomas and daughter of  Lt. Joseph B. Davis amd Anne Keene is:

My 1st Cousin 6X Removed. 


_________________________________

1. https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/9080/images/004753238_00301?pId=970614

2. "MR. JAMES C. THOMAS," Death Notice, The Daily News, Charleston, South Carolina, 23 April 1867, page 1, column 2; Digital On-Line Archives, ChroniclingAmerica (https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/ : on-line January 2024), Historic America Newspapers.



No comments:

Post a Comment