Monday, February 26, 2024

The Last Will and Testament of Sarah Haughey

 The Last Will of Sarah Haughey


Sarah Haughey was the Mother-in Law of my 5th great grand uncle Evan David. Jr.  Evan David, Jr. married Mary Haughey, b. 1726, daughter of William and Sarah Haughey about 1740.  Sarah Haughey’s husband William, had already passed away when she wrote her Will on 4 May 1787 in Pencader Hundred, in the County of New Castle and State of Delaware.  

Her estate was equally divided between her son, William and her three daughters, Eleanor Calvert Pricillah Cowin & Ann Haughey. 

She also left legacies to her Son-in-law, Evan David, Jr., husand of her daughter Mary, his wife and 3 of their 6 known children. She also left lagacies to her other Grandsons and Grandaughters.

Its obvious that Mary Haughey, wife of Evan David, Jr. was deceased  since she was not mentioned within the Will. Mary Haughey, Evan David’s wife, died about 1780, her estate administered in 1780. (Adms., Lib. N1, fol. 356.) Evan was living in 1787 and died sometime before 1796-7. Davis Book page 31. 

MEMO: that letters of administration on the estate of Mary Davis late of Pencader hundred and county of newcastle, deceased, were granted unto William Davis next of kin and proper administrator, an Inventory to be exhibited on or before the first day of April next, and under an account on or before the first day of october, A. D. 1794. Given under the Seal of the Register, this first day of October, A. D. 1793.  (Bond in £150 Joseph Thomas Jun. Surety.)

Jas.. Booth, Reg’t.

Transcription: 

Last Will and Testament Sarah Haughey

In the name of God Amen. I Sarah Haughey of Pencader Hundred in the County of New Castle Delaware State being sick in body but thro' Divine mercy enjoying sound & disposing mind & memory do Constitute appoint and ordain this my last Will and Testament as follows Viz. Imp. I will that all my Just debts and funeral expenses be forth with paid out of my estate with all Convienent speed. To my Daughter in law Rosanah Haughey I give and bequeath two Shillings and Six pence  to my Grandson Levi Haughey I gave and bequeth two Shillings and six pence to my Grandaughter Pricillah Haughey I give and bequeath two shillings and six pence to my Daughter Pricillah Cowin I give & bequeath one feather Bed & furniture to my Son William Haughey I give and bequeath the sum of two shillings and six pence & half a cart a handsaw & drawing knife the same Articles now in his pofsefsion  To my Daughter Ann Haughey I give and bequeath her Choise <sic> of my fether Beds and furniture & one pided Cow one Iron pot on teakittle one Large pewter dish to my Daughter Elinor Colvert I give and bequeath two shillings and six pence to my Son in law Evin David I give and bequeath two Shillings and six pence to my Granson Nathaniel David I give and bequeath the sum of twenty Shillings to my Granson Joshua David I give and bequeath the sum of twenty Shillings to my Granson Hugh David I give and bequeath the sum of twenty Shillings. Lastly I Constitute and apoint my son William Haughey & my Daughter Ann Haughey Executors of this my last Will and  Testament hereby Revoking all former wills by me made Ratifying and Confirming this and none Else for my last will and testament and after the above mentioned Legacies is paid the residue of my Estate to be equally divided between my son William Haughey Elinor Colvert Pricillah Cowin & Ann Haughey. In Witnefs whereof I have hereunto set my hand and Seal this fourth day of May Anno Dommo One Thousand seven hundred and eighty seven. 

Sined Sealed and promised and declared  

in the presence of us.                                                    Sarah (C her mark) Haughey{Seal}

Nathan Boldin

Samuel McIntyre

Nancy (X her mark) Cowin

Personally appeared Nathan Boldin and Samuel McIntyre two of the subscribing witnesses to the within and forgoing Will who being duly sworn say that they did see and hear Sarah Haughey sign seal publish pronounce and declare the within and foregoing Instrument of Writing as her last Will and Testament, that at the time of so doing and saying she was (to the best of their belief) of sound and disposing mind and memory that they did sign their names as evidences thereunto at her request in her presence and in the presence of Nancy Cowin whom they see sign as one other evidence at the same time. In Testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand at New Castle this 11th day of May A. D. 1787. ---

Sion Bedford Reg. 

Evan David/Davis, Jr. and Sarah Haughey are my 5th Great Grand Uncle and Aunt. 


___________________________

1. Memo: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BM-R3ST-6?i=602&cat=37876

2. Will of Sarah Haughley >WILL BOOK M, page 266, New Castle County, Delaware

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BM-R3QT-J?i=365&cat=37876


No comments:

Post a Comment