Monday, May 14, 2018

Amanuensis Monday~The Last Will and Testament of Isaac Berkley Rivers



Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Today’s subject is the Chesterfield County, SC Will of Isaac Berkley Rivers.1

Isaac B. Rivers WILL, pg 1Isaac B. Rivers WILL, pg 2

Transcription:

South Carolina}
Chesterfield County}
In the name of God Amen.
I I. B. Rivers of Chesterfield County, South Carolina, being of sound and understanding + desiring to manage my worldly affairs while I may - do ordain, publish + declare the following as my last Will + Testament revoking & declaring void all former Wills by me made----
I. I direct that all my just debts + funeral expenses be paid + that I be suitably laid to rest and my grave marked.
II. That after the 1st clause of my Will is carried out, I give, devise and bequeath unto my son tos  John L. Rivers two thirds (2/3) of rest and residue of my estate of every kind, real, personal + mixed and to my daughter Lizzie White wife of Eddie White, 1/3 (one third) of the rest, residue + remainder of all my property of every kind, real, personal + mixed-
It being my intention that my said son and daughter shall receive everything I have after the 1st Clause herein is carried out.--
III. I have not overlooked my wife + other children who have deserted me + I have, so I consider, sufficient means for not remembering them.
IV. I nominate, constitute and appoint A. F. Davis the Executor of my Will---
In testimony whereas I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 14th day of February, A. D. 1913.
Signed, Sealed, Published}
+ declared as and far}
the last will + Testament of}                                                 I. B. Rivers
I. B. Rivers}
in the presence of us,}
who in his presence}
+ at his request and}
in the presence of each}
other have subscribed}
our names as}
witnesses hereto}
W. J. Perry}
D. R. Teal}
M. J. Hough}

South Carolina}
Chesterfield County}
I. W. J. Perry, do hereby certify that {illegible} attending I. B. Rivers and in my opinion he is fully competent mentally to transact business + to make this Will.
Febry. 14th, 1913 W. J. Perry, M.D.


Isaac B. Rivers and his wife Effie Wadsworth had a family of 9 children; 4 sons and 5 daughters. In the 1910 Census only Isaac and his son John Lewis are enumerated in his (Isaac ) household.0

Isaac wrote his Will on 14 February 1913. He died 27 March 1913. He was buried in the Zoar United Methodist Church Cemetery.

Isaac’s wife, Effie Wadsworth, is my 2nd Cousin 3 times removed.  



_________________________
Note: Plus sign (+) used in place of Ampersand

[1] "South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939L-N39T-WN?cc=1911928&wc=MPP5-GP8%3A190567401%2C190561002%2C190567402%2C192152101 : 21 May 2014), Chesterfield > Probate Court, Estate records > 1865-1927 > Cases 1209-1314 > image 743 of 1633; county courthouses, South Carolina, and South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia.










































No comments:

Post a Comment