Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Last Will and Testament of Katherine Sides

 Stanly Co. N. C. Will Book 1 pages  308-10

WILL BOOK 1, page 308-309


In the name of God Amen. I  Katharine Sides of the county of Stanly and the State of N. Carolina being in comon health and of sound disposing mind and memory but considering the uncertainly of my earthly existence, do make this my last Will & testament in the maner & form following, that is to say,

First that my Execution herein after named shall provide for me a decent burial. Suitable to the wishes of my relations and friends, and pay all my funeral expenses together with all my just debts, if any I shall owe, out of the first money that shall come in to his hands belonging to my Estate.

Item 1st It is my will & desire that the remaining portion of my property be sold at public sale on a reasonable credit by my Executor whom I shall here after appoint & the proceeds of the same together with all debts due me when collected by him & what other funds that may be on hand at my decease be divided among the following named persons, in the maner I now proceed to direct.

First give to my son Henry C. Sides, now in the State of California, twenty-five dollars, provided he comes to claim it within two years after my death, and in the event that he should not come within that time, then the same to revert & be divided in the same manor as the other proceeds of my Estate.

Secondly I give & devise to my daughter Elizabeth Biles & to the heirs of her body, an eighth part of my Estate after deducting the specific devise here in before I mentioned.

Thirdly I give to my daughter Mary Crowell and to the heirs of her body, one eighth part of the same after making the afore said.

Fourthly I give to my daughter Caroline Hearne, and to the heirs of her body, one eighth part aforesaid.

Fifthly I give to my Grand daughter Louisa D. Marshall a (child) of my daughter Sarah Marshall one eighth part as afore said, after paying to George M. Sides, the sum of thirty five dollars, it being the amount that the said George M. Sides paid as security for Henry Marshall. The said eighth part to remain in the hands of a Guardian and the interest and such part of the principal as shall be absolutely necessary for the support of and education of the said Louisa B. Marshall, to be paid annually to her Mother, Sarah Marshall.

Sixthly I give to my son George M. Sides, one eighth part aforesaid.

Seventhly I give and devise to my Grandson Henry Thomas Sides (son of Thomas Alexander Sides) one eighth part of my Estate subject to the aforesaid deductions.

Item 2nd I give and devise to my beloved son George M. Sides my looms and spooling wheel and all the fixtures, and everything that belongs to the loom.

Item 3rd I give & devise to my beloved son Nelson Sides one hundred dollars out of my Estate and then one eighth part of my Estate as named in item 1st besides after making the as named above.

Item 4th It is my desire that my Executor give to each of my daughters namely Elizabeth Biles, Mary Crowell, Caroline Hearne and Sarah Marshall and each of my daughters in law, namely Ithama Sides, and Sophrona Sides, each a canterpane to be selected for them by someone or two of the neighbor women and also that all my wearing apparel be equally divided among my said daughters and daughter-in-laws.

Item 5th I give & devise to Elizabeth Upchurch, Caroline Melton, Leonard E Melcher & Elizabeth Melcher and Mary Melcher, children of my daughter Sophia Melcher dec'd the remaining eighth part of my Estate, subject to the aforesaid deductions, 

Lastly I hereby constitute and appoint my beloved son George M. Sides my Executor to execute this my last will & testament according to the true intent & meaning of the same, hereby revoking & disclaiming utterly void all wills heretofore made by me. In writing whereof I have here to set my hand and seal this 1st day of July AD 1865.
In presence of:                                                                                      her
Martin Shopfner                                                                    Katharine X Sides
Lindsey Hathcock                                                                                mark

Stanly County Court August Term 1867
There the execution of the forgoing last will & testament of Katharine Sides was proved in open court by Martin Shopfner & Lindsey Hathcock the subscribing witness thereto and ordered to be recorded
                                                                                           L Greene  clk


Catherine Miller was born 22 May 1789, Cabarrus County, North Carolina a daughter of George Jacob Miller and Mary Agnes Sauer. She married Leonard Sides in 1803 and died 21Jun 1867, aged 78.




_________________
1. Copy of Last Will can be obtained here>>

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-LGCC-L5B?i=169&cc=1867501&cat=176847








No comments:

Post a Comment