Tuesday, January 3, 2023

The Last Will and Testament of Elizabeth McWhite

Elizabeth McWhite was born Elizabeth Keziah Davis in November 1784. She was the daughter of David Davis and Rebecca Keziah Godfrey.

Sometime before 1810, in Marion District, South Carolina, Elizabeth Keziah Davis married William Henry Greaves (also spelled Graves). He was a very successful farmer. William Henry Greaves wrote his Last Will and Testament, dated 11 November 1834 leaving his plantation consisting of 4 tracts of land containing over 1500 acres and almost all of his slaves to his wife, Elizabeth (Davis) Greaves.

William and Elizabeth had one daughter whom they adopted – Margaret Elizabeth Greaves. She was born Margaret Ann Gourley Davis daughter of William Davis and Margaret Ann Allison. Margaret Ann Gourley Davis was adopted by her father’s sister Elizabeth Keziah Davis and her husband William Henry Greaves at which time she changed her name to Margaret Elizabeth GRAVES.

After the death of Her Mother Elizabeth Keziah (Davis) (Greaves) McWhite in 1847; her adopted Daughter,Margaret Ann Gourley Davis, now known as Margaret Elizabeth GRAVES, went to live with her Uncle Henry Davis.

No death date has been found for William Henry Greaves but he is believed to have passed away shortly after writing his Last Will on 11 November 1834. After his death, his widow, Elizabeth Keziah (DAVIS) Greaves married Alexander McWhite.

Elizabeth Keziah (Davis)(Greaves) McWhite wrote her Last Will and Testament on 8 July 1846 and is believed to have passed away in 1847. No death date has yet been found for Elizabeth McWhite.




Transcription:
In the Name of God Amen.
I Elizabeth McWhite being weak in body but of Sound and disposing mind and memory and being desirous of Settling my worldly affairs whilst I have Strength and capacity So to do; do make and ordain this my Last Will and Testament in manner and form following.
Inprimis. I desire that my funeral expenses be paid immediately after my decease out of my estate.
Item. I give and bequeath to my adopted daughter Margaret Elizabeth Greaves Davis all the land owned by my former husband W. H. Greaves, dec'd in his lifetime, also the following negro Slave namely, Cyrus, Matilda, Vilot, Minnerus, Jim, Billy, Nathan, Tiney, Flanner, and Binah, and their future increase, also one Bed and furniture, one horse. I wish her  to take her choice of my homes to her and her lawful ifsue but, should she depart this life leaving no issue, them and in that case, I wish the above named property to be equally divided between Joseph P. Davis, Sarah A. Davis, Mary A. Brown, James Allison and the ifsue of Jennett Johnson share and share alike. Item. I give and bequeath unto my beloved Sister Rachel Allison the following negro Slaves named Befs and Bob, one home and my Barouche. 
Item. I give and bequeath unto my beloved Niece Jennett Johnson the following negro slaves namely Bellow, Doctor, Jinny and Lenn. Item. I give and bequeath to my niece Mary A. Brown the following negro slaves namely Polly and Jack to her and her lawful ifsue forever. Item.  I give and bequeath to my nephew Joseph P. Davis a negro man named Moses also one bed and furniture but should he depart this life leaving no lawful children I wish the  property to be equally divided between the lawful ifsue of my niece Jennett Johnson. Item. I give and bequeath to my Niece Sarah A. Davis a negro man named Patrick. Also one bed and furniture to her and the lawful ifsue of her Body
page 2
but should she depart this life leaving no ifsue I wish the property to be equally divided between the lawful ifsue of my niece Jennett Johnson. 
Item. I give and bequeath to my Nephew David R. Williams Davis a negro man named Gilbert but should he depart this life leaving no lawful children I wish the property to be equally divided between the lawful children of my niece Jennett Johnson.
Item. I give and bequeath to my Nephew James Allison a negro man named Nemo.  Item. I give and bequeath to Elizabeth Greaves Johnson daughter of my Niece Jennett Johnson one Bed and furniture. Item. I give and bequeath to my beloved husband Alexander McWhite all the residue of my Estate real and personal not herein disposed of and hereby nominate constitute and appoint my friend Benjamin Gause and my nephew James Allison my executors of this my last will and testament. In Witnefs I have  hereunto Set my hands and Seal this eight day July Anno Domino one thousand eight hundred and forty six. Signed Sealed published and declared as and for the last will and Testament of the above named Elizabeth McWhite in the presence of us who at her request and in her presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto Subscribed our names as Witnefses}
Jno. Woodberry}                                             Elizabeth McWhite {Seal}
George W. Woodberry}
John Lowrimore

South Carolina}
Marion District} Geo. W. Woodberry personally appeared and made oath that he was present and saw the within instrument of writing Signed, Sealed and declared as and for the last Will and Testament of Elizabeth McWhite that she the Said Testator was then of Sound disposing mind and memory to the best of this deponent Knowledge and belief and that John Woodberry and John Lowrymore were subscribing witnefses thereto.
Sworn to before me 5 Sept 1847}
Edward D. Wheeler}                                                     G. W. Woodberry
Ordinary

I Benjamin Gause do hereby Solemnly Swear that this writing contains the true last will and testament of Elizabeth McWhite, dec'd and that I will well and truly execute the Same by paying first the debts, and then the legacies and make a just and true appraisement thereof So help me God.
Sworn to before me 9 Sept 1847.
Edmund B. Wheeler
Benj. Gause
Recorded 28 Sept 1847 



Elizabeth Keziah (Davis)(Greaves) McWhite is my 2nd Cousin 5X Removed.



_________________________

1. Marion District, South Carolina, Will Book 2, Page(s) 90-92 Last Will and Testament Elizabeth McWhite; FamilySearch.org, Marion, Marion County, South Carolina

No comments:

Post a Comment