Monday, January 16, 2023

Amanuensis Monday~Last Will and Testament of Julia Franklin (Avant) Davis, wife of Benjamin Saunders Davis

Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:

Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Today’s subject is the Last Will and Testament of Julia Franklin (Avant) Davis, wife of Benjamin Saunders Davis.1


Julie Franklin Avant was born 30 January 1803, a daughter of Joshua Avant and Catherine Baker. On 15 March 1826 she and Benjamin Saunders Davis were married in Marion County, South Carolina. Benjamin Saunders Davis was born 17 August 1798, a son of Lt. Joseph B. Davis and Anne Keene. Benjamin was also the grandson of Benjamin Davis and Rachel Port.

After the birth of six children; three sons and three daughters, Benjamin Saunders Davis passed away at the age of  44 on 13 Aug 1843. Benjamin Saunders Davis died intestate, leaving no Will. Julie Franklin (Avant) Davis wrote her Will on 3 June 1873. While five of her six children survived her; she only named the youngest daughter and two surviving sons.  Julia Franklin Davis died 7 March 1878. 

Benjamin Saunders Davis and Julia Franklin Avant had the following children:

i. Ann Catherine Davis, born 18 Dec 1826, Marion County, South Carolina; married Sgt. John E. Collins, abt 1846; married Hugh James Floyd Sr., 1867; died 5 Oct 1906, Galivants Ferry, Horry, South Carolina, .

ii. Daniel Keene Davis was born in 1830 in Marion County, South Carolina. He died in 1853 at the age of 23 in Marion County South Carolina. 

iii. Susan Brownfield Davis, born 27 Aug 1831, Marion County, South Carolina; married Capt. William J. Davis, 1850; died 27 Aug 1916, Marion County, South Carolina, .

iv. Benjamin Franklin Davis, born 2 Jun 1834, Marion County, South Carolina; married Gabriella Mary Jenkins; married Corinna Pace McCormac; died 28 May 1914, Marion County, South Carolina, .

v. Julia Maria Davis was born on 3 Oct 1836 in Marion County South Carolina. She died on 22 Apr 1914 at the age of 77 in Marion County South Carolina.  

vi. James Preston Davis, born 26 Apr 1839, Marion County, South Carolina; married Mary Roberta Dickson; died 23 Feb 1906, Marion, Marion, South Carolina,


JULIA FRANKLIN (AVANT) DAVIS WILL


The State of South Carolina}
Marion County}  Know all men by these presents that I Julia Franklin Davis of State and County aforesaid being in feeble health, but of Sound and disposing mind and memory, do make and publish this my last Will and testament; hereby revoking all will by me at any time heretofore made, As to my worldly estate and all the property real personal or mixed of which I shall die seized and pofsefses, or to which I shall been titled at the time of my decease, I devise bequeath, and dispose of in the following manner, to wit:  
First.  My Will is that all my Just debts and funeral expenses shall by my executor herein after named be paid out of My estate as Soon after my decease as shall be found convenient,
Item. I give devise and bequeath to my Daughter Julia Maria Davis all my real estate lying and being in Marion County, Legett Township,bounded North by lands of T. W. Godbold, South by lands of J. M. Godbold West by lands of David Legett and others, Also, I give and unto the Said Julia Maria Davis all my personal property of every kind of which I may be seized and pofsefsed at the time of my decease, To have and to hold the Same to her and her use forever, and I do nominate and appoint my Sons Benjamin F. Davis and James P. Davis to the executor of this my last Will and testament. In testimony whereof, I the said Julia F. Davis have to this my last will and testament contained on this sheet of paper, I have Subscribed and affixed my Seal and name this third day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and Seventy Six.
Signed, Sealed published and declared, by the Said Julia F. Davis as her last will and testament in the presence of us, who at her request and in her presence, and in the presence of each other, have subscribed our names as witnefses thereto.
W. B. Rowell, Sr.                                                 Julia F. Davis {Seal}
W. J. Davis
R. F. Davis



Julia Franklin Davis is the wife of my 2nd Cousin 5X Removed. 










________________________

Marion County South Carolina; Will Book 1, Page 223, Image 492; https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9PT-29ZV-5?i=491

No comments:

Post a Comment