Sunday, January 15, 2023

The Tragic Death of Baby Sellers

Johnnie Garison Sellers was born 7 September 1909, the second child and son of James Arnold Sellers and Addie Ovida Davidson. The newspaper notice of his death tells the story of his tragic death.

Child Dies From Burns.
Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Sellers, of near Thompson Creek church, in Chesterfield county, have the sympathy of the whole community in the loss of their little two-year-old child, which occurred In the most distressing manner possible, last Thursday, from the result of burns received the day before. The mother had left the baby in the room while she went out for wood. Before she could return the little one screamed in agony and on rushing back to the house the  mother was horrified to meet her child in the door its clothes all aflame. She quickly extinguished the fire, but the baby was so terribly burned that death resulted next day.
 1

James Arnold Sellers and Addie Ovida Davidson would have 5 additional children after the loss of their 2nd born son. They were 4 daughters and another son.

The Children of James Arnold Sellers and Addie Ovida Davidson were:

i. Robert Eleby Sellers, born 17 Mar 1907, Chesterfield County, North Carolina; married Clara Garris; died 8 Aug 1969, High Point, Guilford, North Carolina.

ii. Johnnie Garison Sellers was born on 17 Sep 1909 in Chesterfield County, South Carolina. He died on 4 Jan 1912 at the age of 2 in Chesterfield County, South Carolina.

iii. Beulah Sellers was born on 22 Mar 1914 in Chesterfield County, South Carolina. She died on 23 Aug 1997 at the age of 83.

iv. Mary Madgeline "Madge" Sellers, born 6 Jan 1916, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina; married Claude Wilson Hooks, 1935, Chesterfield County, South Carolina; died 23 Jan 1978, Charlotte, Mecklenburg, North Carolina.

v. Laland Sellers, born 30 Aug 1918, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina; married Julia Lowery; died 4 May 2002, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina.

vi. Pamela Sellers, born 21 Jul 1921, Chesterfield County, South Carolina; married Wilburn C. Short; died 11 Jan 2012, High Point, Guilford, North Carolina.

vii. Audrey Sellers, born 1 Dec 1927, Chesterfield County, South Carolina; married Lloyd Gardner Rayfield, 3 Dec 1948, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina; died 16 Nov 2017, West Columbia, South Carolina.


Johnnie Garison Sellers is my 4th Cousin Once Removed.


____________________

1. Child Dies From Burns. obituary, The Messenger and Intelligencer, Wadesboro, Anson County, North Carolina, United States, 11 January 1912, Page 3, column 1. son of Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Sellers.

2. Find A Grave, Inc., Find A Grave, database and digital images, (http://www.findagrave.com : accessed 12 January 2023); Memorial page for Johnnie Garison Sellers; (17 September 1909–4 January 1912); Find a Grave memorial # 31810832, Citing Thompson Creek Baptist Church Cemetery Old; Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, USA.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Charlie. this is Yvonne Wise Scott. I received your email today about the James Arnold Sellers family. I didn’t know about the child he lost, but recognized the names of most of his children. I especially remember Beulah (I called her aunt Beulah, though she was my mother’s cousin), Madge, Pam and Audrey. To refresh your memory my grandparents were Adolphus “Doll” Sellers and Guinnie Moore. My mother Mattie Lee was their daughter. I always enjoy and appreciated your website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie, I have found another child, Jessie Sellers (female) and have linked her to the parents on Findagrave. I also have found that Beulah Sellers was married to David Franklin MaManus. I have not found the burial place for Beulah or David Franklin McManus. They were living in Richland County, S.C. on the 1950 census and Jessie was living with them. According to David's social security death his last residence was Richland County, S.C. Also Pamela's name is Permelia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julious, thanks for the additional information. Updated my main database.

      Delete
    2. In 1950 at age 4 I lived with my parents in the same house in Columbia, SC as Aunt Beulah & Uncle David. (Beulah was my mother's cousin, but I called her "Aunt.") I believe the large house was divided into apartments and they lived on one floor and we lived on the other. I remember Jessie. I believe she had spinal meningitis and at that time she spent her days lying in a crib. Beulah and David took loving care of her. Beulah, David, Jessie and Permelia are all buried at Thompson Creek Baptist Church Cemetery in Chesterfield County, SC.

      Delete
  3. In 1950 at age 4 I and my parents Mattie Sellers Wise and John Wise lived in the same house in Columbia, SC as David and Beulah McManus. Beulah was my mother's cousin. As I recall they lived downstairs and we lived upstairs. I remember Jessie, who I believe had spinal meningitis, and as an adult slept in a crib. Beulah, David, Jessie as well as Permelia are buried at Thompson Creek Baptist Church Cemetery in Chesterfield County, SC.

    ReplyDelete