Monday, October 8, 2018

Amanuensis Monday~The Last Will and Testament of William B. Odom

Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.


Today’s subject is the Last Will and Testament of William B. Odom, 1892.
1

W. B. Odom WILL, pg 1W. B. Odom WILL, pg 2

Transcription:

The State of South Carolina}
Chesterfield County}
In the name of God Amen.
I, William B. Odom, of the County and State aforesaid, being of sound mind and memory do make and publish this my last Will and Testament, in manner and form following:~~
First- It is my Will and desire that all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid.
Second- I give devise and bequeath to my wife Sarah A. Odom my Home tract of land containing two hundred acres, more or less, during the time of her natural life, and at her death I give devise and bequeath the same to my children, share and share alike.
Third- It is my Will and desire and I so direct, that all the rest of my real estate be sold and the proceeds arising from said sale be applied to the education of my three youngest children, Milton Clarence, Herman Murray and Maud There(?), and for that purpose I hereby give my Executrix and Executors hereinafter named, and the Survivors or Survivor of them, full power and authority to sell the same and make good and sufficient titles to the same.
Fourth- I give, devise and bequeath all of my personal property, of all Kinds, Money, Bonds, Stocks &c to my Wife Sarah A. Odom to her and her heirs and assigns forever.
Fifth- I hereby nominate, constitute and appoint my wife Sarah A. Odom Executrix and my Sons W. P. Odom and Milton Clarence Odom Executors of this my last Will and testament, Hereby revoking all Wills by me heretofore made,
In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and Seal this the 18th day of October A. D. 1892.
Signed, sealed, published}                                                   W. B. Odom {Seal}
and declared by the said}
William B. Odom, as and}
for his last Will and}
Testament in the presence}
of us, who, at his request, in}
his presence, and in the}
presence of each other,}
have subscribed our}
names as witness}
hereto.}
W. J. Hanna}
W. J. Hanna, Jr.}
Joe W. Hanna}









_____________________
[1] "South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939L-N3LT-K?cc=1911928&wc=MPP5-3TT%3A190567401%2C190561002%2C190567402%2C191220701 : 21 May 2014), Chesterfield > Probate Court, Estate records > 1865-1927 > Cases 0638-0757 > image 517 + 518 of 1623; county courthouses, South Carolina, and South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia.































No comments:

Post a Comment